Dyno results with Moose pump and injectors.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Great numbers Heath. Thanks for sharing. And of course thanks to Mel for the products that helped make it possible:hail (Supermel makes super parts and can lift heavily modified "Moosed" motors with one hand to boot). I absolutely love the torque number:love:! Your truck must be fun to drive at this point. Do you recommend the 9.5 timing as opposed to just setting it at 8.5? Any drawbacks one way or the other?

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Awesome numbers. Thanks to everyone for paving the way to performance for the IDI's. Torque number sounds like too much fun and betcha the ploom of smoke caught everyone's attention, nice.;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ummmm the gas engine comparison doesn't hold water.

What I mean is take that same small block/big block and limit it to 3300rpms.
You'll end up with numbers similiar or below what Hesutton has.
Perhaps a 460 or Fe motor can make 450ft lbs, but the small block has to work pretty hard to get that below 3300rpms.

If this IDI ran up to 6,000 rpms it'd be in the 400hp/400 ft lbs range.
Apples to apples a gas engine would need a different rotating assembly, a different cam, higher flowing heads, larger intake, larger carb, and heavier duty everything to hit 400/400 in a reliable daily driver that could withstand towing and abuse. A conservative estimate including machine work, we're talking $6000-$9000
The IDI hit the these numbers with what? a turbo, an intercooler and a new pump/injectors. At a grand total (brand new) at what $3500? and you NEVER had to open the engine up. No better heads, no machine work etc etc.

Seems like the IDI doesn't do too bad after all.

Typ4, a crazy, totally left field question here.
with the 7.3idi, could we ditch the hydraulic lifters for solid, add double valve springs (or at least dampners), and replace the cam with yours? custom pushrods would probably be needed and oil restriction to the lifters, but we could spin 4500rpms in a much safer manner. The horsepower is already there, we just aren't going far enough to reach it.

Drew

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive, for sure; thanks for sharing the info. My old 460 truck would run circles around my 6.9 truck, without a doubt. Of course, that came at a cost of 9mpg, which is under half of what my 6.9 gets. Apples and oranges.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about this turbo?HE351CW. btw, tootie frickin frootie ,jester

Last edited by a moderator:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u
Typ4, a crazy, totally left field question here.
with the 7.3idi, could we ditch the hydraulic lifters for solid, add double valve springs (or at least dampners), and replace the cam with yours? custom pushrods would probably be needed and oil restriction to the lifters, but we could spin 4500rpms in a much safer manner. The horsepower is already there, we just aren't going far enough to reach it.

Drew
drew-
these cams already benefit from full roller lifters. you can't get better than that. it's also the reason why the grinder can put in such an aggressive profile.
for these motors, 4500rpm would require some reworking of the crank assy in the form of balancing the crank and lightening the rods and pistons. there's an awful lot of mass swinging around down there that a gasser doesn't have.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are great numbers, Heath! They match many stock middle generation Power Stroke trucks at the rear wheels, which is a great benchmark for an IDI IMHO.

Going back to turbos, does anyone think the heads will stay on for long burning all the fuel with 20+PSI boost and a 21:1 CR? For a performance only truck, where the owner was willing to fix it more often, sure. But if you want to bolt it up, use it for 25 years and then pass it along to your kids????? That kinda boost would almost have to come with lower CR... which introduces the possibility of hard cold starts. I have almost no experience seriously modding the 6.9 (even though I've owned one for 20+ years) but I have played with GM 6.2/6.5s ands they are similar enough in concept for me to extrapolate what I learn about them. The advantage the 6.9/7.3 IDI has is a stronger basic structure, but it's still not as stout as the later engines, or that danged Cummins (which is simultaneously loved AND hated).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken a moment to update the performance section of our FAQ. I've run the data that we have to come up with some average numbers and I've drawn some conclusions.

Here are some numbers we can keep in our heads, and throw around when discussing performance.

The average horsepower of an IDI Turbodiesel - 165.55
The average torque of same - 324.7

Both Darrin and Heath have obtained similar top rated horsepower numbers that beat these averages by about 40 horsepower. Darrin used propane, and Heath is using Moose products. Both men also beat out the universal torque average, but Heath did it by a larger margin. Darrin's was almost 38 foot pounds more, but Heath's was a whopping 137 foot pounds more!

Propane obviously gives you more bang for the buck, at least short term. However, you can't run it all the time, and it does make your EGT's go up, which limits the amount of time you can keep it turned on. Doing it with "hardware" obviously has it's advantages, since once you are beyond the initial cash outlay, the pay back is continuous. I think the community will benefit greatly from the real data that is starting to accumulate, as we are no longer guessing about what works and what doesn't, and if it does by how much. Intercooling would greatly benefit both methods. Now if we just had some before and after intercooler numbers....

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Another thing to add Mel might also be that with age and use the performance of the moose products are gonna go down with wear while the propane will always add the same amount of power. And on the other side the power is always there with the moose products while the propane you have to keep filling up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't disagree with that statement but of course as with any IP you should set the timing, and possibly bump the fuel to compensate for wear. It's a shame it is not practicle to dyno once a year. That's a good way to keep track of how wear and age are killing your engine. The Moose stuff should last as long as stock, so you very well may spend more money on propane in the long run. So the big question now is, is Heath brave enough to run propane with his current setup? :D If he gets the same gains, he's looking at maybe 250 RWHP and 500+ foot pounds of torque all things being equal. An intercooler would probably add another 20 hp at least. That's getting close to the 300RWHP that seems to be the golden calf for a lot of guys here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online