Dyno results with Moose pump and injectors.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I waited for over 6 hours in line to get my turn on the rollers Saturday at the TS Outlaw Event. I was the ONLY IDI in a sea of Dodge Cummins, GM D-max, and a sprinkle of PSD's. I was also the only IDI on the rollers the entire weekend. I couldn't sit in the truck with the dyno operator as only owners who where toggling Nitrous on and off were allowed in the cab. So, I don't know max EGT's or boost on the dyno, but I know the boost was 15+.

Well...... the results are what I was expecting after driving the truck with the complete Moose fuel system.

Moose IP and Injectors: 204.75HP and 461.59lb/ft torque.:hail
Boost pegged at 15+ as I can do that on the street.:D EGT's?

DPS IP and Moose Injectors: 178.7HP and 387.9lb/ft.
Boost pegged at 15+ and EGT of 850.

DPS IP and DPS Injectors: 185.1HP and 404.0
Boost max of 13psi and EGT at 900.

Three trucks met their doom on saturday. One Dodge Cummins making 550HP (spectacular head gasket failure), two D-max trucks (less spectacular head gasket failures with just coolant bleeding) in the 600-700 HP range, the higher HP of the two D-max being a drag truck running nitrous.

The highest HP winner of the day was believe it or not...... an '05 F250 making 1090+HP with nitrous.

A big congrats to Mel Agne for the performance of his Moose products. Thanks again Mel.

I got lots of questions about the IDI, even from the dyno operators who really were surprised by the performance and especially the torque of a 24 year old truck.

Disclamer: The dyno was a trailer unit, not the same dyno used to get the other numbers. It was a DynoJet unit and it was cooler and less humid than it was last summer at the Rally when we dyno'ed at TS Performance. The numbers are what they are, but it is a bit hard to compair them as 100% accurate as they where not done under the same conditions on the same dyno.

Heath

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I never figured a little more fuel would make that much of a difference, think if you had just a shot of propane and the torque cam!!! Those numbers are awesome

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. Kinda points toward the moose pump being the shiznizzill (we all knew that), and the moose misters might not be worth the extra money. I think they would be awesome if these were DI motor, but the finer atomization just isn't that important when the fuel is just slamming into the pre-chamber. . . Certainly not definitive though. Thanks Heath for taking the time and giving the community some numbers!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome numbers. The torque and overall simplicity of the IDI with the correct mods seems pretty indisputable. I think those torque numbers would say that you have the ability to pull anything within reason for a 3/4-1 ton range, especially when you consider the dependability/mileage/cost.

The only disappointing thing is that there weren't more IDIs.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 204 at the wheels, 15% loss through the drivetrain = 234.6. And there are threads on here figuring 300, 400, 500 hp. Looks like the IDI still has a long way to go. I love the torque number, but a well built small block, mild built big block can make those numbers and run cheaper fuel. I love my IDI, but it's definitely turning into a labor of love.

DragRag

Reaction score
So 204 at the wheels, 15% loss through the drivetrain = 234.6. And there are threads on here figuring 300, 400, 500 hp. Looks like the IDI still has a long way to go. I love the torque number, but a well built small block, mild built big block can make those numbers and run cheaper fuel. I love my IDI, but it's definitely turning into a labor of love.

Do you have a way of making gasoline for a small or big block cheaper then I can make cheap fuel for my IDI? I know there is a company in Los Gatos that is selling a machine to make your own gasoline now, but after you amortize cost of the machine with materials I doubt you can make cheaper fuel then I can with no machines at all. Labor of love maybe, but either way, with the dirt cheap cost of making fuel from waste motor oil, and over all cheap repairs on IDI I think our engines are much cheaper to operate. With store bought fuel it might be a wash in the worst scenarios. Gas engines pound for pound towing will chew up more fuel, and the repair costs on the idi are still less IMO. I think the idi is the winner over gasoline in all situations in regards to full size trucks though when it comes to economy.

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information that is great!! Next time carry a laptop and you might fit in with the others better:rotflmao

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think we need to dyno on and off wmo and veggie to compare with dino diesel

sootman73

Reaction score
yea the turbo desperately needs to be changed and those numbers i think would have been much higher....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thought powertrain loss in a vehicle like this works out to 30%. Assuming that, the crankshaft power would be 291 Hp.

What sort of smoke was the truck throwing? Sounds like a good run to me. Crazy torque numbers to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online