dura-lift pump

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed my new pump last weekend . took forever to pick up fuel from a 5 gal can 4.5 ft away . took more than 10 mins to do this. what should be normal.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in my experience with them. I have one on my crew cab and added one on my F250 a few months back. They primed pretty quickly on both rigs, but I wasn't pulling fuel from below the pump. I have both mounted on the frame rail infront of the tank selector valve. So gravity certainly helped them prime.

They are supposed to be great at lifting fuel, but that seems like a really long time for the Duralift to prime.

I'm sure others with the pump mounted higher (like under the hood) will chime in with their experience.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These pumps can run dry for many hours without issues. Can't really say what is normal for picking up suction. Sorry.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure mine primed fuel from the tank (mine is mounted under the hood) relatively quickly. Probably in the neighborhood seconds, not minutes. That bowl filled up pretty quick. I would say unless your pumping some sludge WMO crap, or your line is full of holes, you may very well have a problem.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours is already in the truck and can run, empty out your filter bowl on the bottom and see how fast it replenishes maybe? Then I can do the same and see the time difference.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like either A) you had an air leak in the suction line, or B) the bowl wasnt on tight or C) you had it attached to the filter inlet on the truck on the pressure side and forgot to push in on the shrader valve while trying to prime the thingand what you did was attempt to turn it into an air compressor

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok did not know about pushing in shrader valve. don't remember seeing that in any wright ups