Duetz swap?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever done one or know someone that has? If you have or know of, how does it ride? I came across a bunch of info on some other sites, but it was mostly about the engines. Would it be easy to swap in a I6 Duetz? And will it make enough power to be useable? I would not expect PSD levels, but I would do a swap if I could get more power than the N/A 7.3. I am in a toss up between a Duetz and a DT-366. The truck will be a semi-DD and will go off road. Also what trannies will work with it. I found a place that makes adapters and was thinking a NV-4500.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My combine has a Duetz 913L6. I want to say 372 CID and I know 190hp. R50 Gleaners came with either them or a 5.9 and the duetz is much easier on fuel than its cummins brother. repair costs are through the roof for duetz but I've never had to fix it. Just keep up on oil leaks so it won't gather dust and over heat.

I'm not sure about physical size for the engine in a truck but it doesn't look impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not go for that swap.
I owned a Magirus Deutz (btw way spelled like this) FA 170D11 with an F6L413V. Great engine and air cooled. But the Magirus was a 12ton truck. The engine with gearbox is, if I am correct, 1500kg ~ 3300pound. Extremely heavy. The engine has 180HP at the wheels but it takes a lot of Diesel.

And although I am really a Fan of Deutz Engines (I lived just about a mile away from the Cologne Headquarter) I would suggest Ford engine swap with a turbo/PSD. Better mileage/MUCH less noise/much less weight.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yep, those Deutz aircooleds are a whole different breed. I expect that parts costs and availability are gonna be deal-breakers.

I do see these engines around in exotic construction equipment, but, add to the above:

German-only (or Deutz-dealer-only-German!) parts involved???? $$$$$$$$$

Don't think most techs are trained on these, so finding qualified service = $$$$$$$$$$

On the plus side, radiator and fan mounting are irrelevant.

But, do I recall the cooling fan is fluid-driven? Yikes?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to get a 6cyl Deutz engine one time and didnt do it, worked for a welding company and had a few of those engines in air compressors. great engine, easy to work on, and for the weight, you dont have to worry about rad/coolant/ect. i wanted to do the swap but i never had the time to do it. i would think it would work great, as long as you have a transmission that would hold up. turbo it, and go for it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not enough power for anything but a freeway cruiser. Worked on many of them, VERY reliable, parts are EXPENSIVE.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Not enough power for anything but a freeway cruiser. Worked on many of them, VERY reliable, parts are EXPENSIVE.
I guess thats why all the trucks I seen them in were RWD street trucks. Thanks for all the info. I will go back to my plans of a DT-366.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not go for that swap.
I owned a Magirus Deutz (btw way spelled like this) FA 170D11 with an F6L413V. Great engine and air cooled. But the Magirus was a 12ton truck. The engine with gearbox is, if I am correct, 1500kg ~ 3300pound. Extremely heavy. The engine has 180HP at the wheels but it takes a lot of Diesel.

And although I am really a Fan of Deutz Engines (I lived just about a mile away from the Cologne Headquarter) I would suggest Ford engine swap with a turbo/PSD. Better mileage/MUCH less noise/much less weight.
Forgive the off-topic question, but do you have a Ford diesel pickup in Germany? I'm sure it was imported somehow...how difficult was that, and do you have to deal with emissions testing or anything like that?

Forgive my curiosity, but that's something I've always wondered about...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online