Dual Alternators

gandalf

Reaction score
I couldn't swear to it, but I have a faint recollection that this mod was covered several years ago on the TDS website. If memory serves me correctly, the outcome was that the rewiring necessary for the mod was extensive and overly complicated. The final outcome was that it wasn't worth it to try to change over to a double alternator setup. If the truck wasn't born with two of them :)eek:) then it wasn't worth the effort. That being the case, I'd suggest finding the largest single alternator, and carry a backup if you really feel the need.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear Snoredog, I think your concern of the big draw on the batteries is worth thinking about, but if you consider that lamp filaments have a higher resistance when they are hot, therefore will "ramp up" on their current draw naturally, I don't think you need to worry. Also, they are a purely resistive load. Compare this to an inductive load like a starter motor, and the fact that the batteries are designed specifically for the starter system, there is no concern. Plus, where would you find a one or two farad capacitor? Do you know how big that would be!!!!!. Sincerely, Andy.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, actually, a filament is almost a direct short when cold, so there IS a higher initial current draw. Then a dip and then a rise as the resistance increases as the filament reaches max. temp. All this happens within a second, so you may have a point about considering a capacitor. But I still think it wouldn't store enough current for a long enough time to make a difference. Sorry about my error in prev. post. --Andy PPS at only 12 volts, a 1 or 2 farad unit probably wouldn't be incredibly huge - maybe the size of a gallon of milk or so???

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
yes you need to isolate them if there are 2 alts feeding 1 battery or 2 batteries conected togeter the alts will fight each other and they will quit working

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
2 alternators is easy to wire if you have the right alternators. I would go for two over one big one for the higher output at idle. To do two alternators easily you need two that are externaly regulated just wire the voltage "sense" wire is at the same spot for both regulators, this includes the grounding. If they see the same voltage, the will put out the same.

snoredog

Reaction score
has anybody ever heard of a internally regulated alternator? I thought I read something about them a while back on a cummins forum or something. Assuming they do exist, would it be possible to run two internal regs side by side and completely take the old alt and regulator off the 7.3? Then you would have nothing but brackets and belts to worry about right?