DT466E Surging

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I know this isn't the right section but I figured I'd try it, I'm currently working on a DT466E in a 2003 4300 International and it has a miss/surging issue at 2000 rpm to 2300 rpm, but only when it's over 200 degrees and under heavy throttle, like climbing a hill. It feels like you shut the key of for a split second and then right back on. It has good fuel pressure, good injectors, new cam sensor with a 0.010 air gap, had it to the dealer and they don't know what it is, it's not throwing codes and I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out, any help is appreciated.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a scanner to see what is going on.

And what is .010 air gap?

only thing a scanner is gonna do is allow you to see what the different sensors are saying.not much help if you dont know how to use the info.the scanner needed for IH trucks is not available to just anybody and a shop that has it is not gonna let you borrow it unless you know them well.

And what is .010 air gap?

seriously if you dont know what .010 air gap is you oughta back away from the tools and vehicles..010 air gap as its called is the clearance between the CPS and cam gear.

but to the OPwe need a little more info.does it smoke?what CPS did you use?where did you get it?what color is it?how does it start cold/hot?

start lookin for loose connections and possible broken wires.check the IPR and make sure the sheet metal nut is still on it to hold the spacer and electro magnet on it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I know what an air gap is, but what does that have to do with the CPS? Its not like we are gapping spark plugs here.Out of all the ones I have changed, they were all the same. Its not like there is some shim to put in to change it. It goes into a machined hole in the timing cover

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what an air gap is, but what does that have to do with the CPS?
please tell me youre not serious.if the sensor touches the cam gear,kiss it goodbye.

Its not like there is some shim to put in to change it. It goes into a machined hole in the timing cover

yes there is a shim to change the gap between the cps and cam gear if needed.

:rolleyes:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
please tell me youre not serious.if the sensor touches the cam gear,kiss it goodbye.

yes there is a shim to change the gap between the cps and cam gear if needed.

:rolleyes:

Well out out of the 30 or so that I have changed, I have yet to see a shim or have any issues with contact

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
youre supposed to check the runout of the cam gear and add a shim if necessary