Dt466 turbo ????

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the DT466 turbo on an IDI? I have access to one and would be prepared to do all necessary fab work if it would work? Its an early 466 and i have read that these produce somewhere around 20psi of boost? Im sure this has been asked before, so sorry for rehashing an old subject, just need a little info! Thanks in advance!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They (DT466's) have come with several different turbos, depending on the year of manufacture, series of DT (A, B, C series and so on), and use (road vs Ag vs industrial).

A guy from the Frankfort, Ky area put one on his IDI around '08 or '09. Wish I could remember his handle here. His name was Dusty IIRC.

He remotely mounted it under the cab. Only trouble he had was clogging the turbo mounted air filter regularly with it so close to road grime.

Which turbo are ya looking at?

Heath

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My IH book says the early DT466 truck engines used a T04B or E non wastegate turbo speced for ~18 psi at 2600 rpm / ~14 psi @ 2000 rpm and with a 1.15-1.52 AR.

I would think it would be too much turbo for an idi which would give slow spooling and maybe low boost - might work but I doubt it would be worth the effort. Being a T04 it may have a different flange than the stock unit as well as being physically bigger which would make it possibly hard to install.

I would recommend an HX35 off a dodge pickup if you're looking for higher boost - these are fairly cheap and easy to find, have flanges that are close to stock and have the wg so you can control boost better.

Before doing anything though how much boost are you trying to get to and what have you done to the engine? Generally consensus is that the 10-12 psi that the standard turbos will give you is about the max for an unmodified engine with head studs - more requires decking the pistons.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly 10-12 psi would be fine, i was just thinking i could maybe just do head studs and be ok! Wish i could just afford a sidewinder!:dunno

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expensive part isn't really the turbo, it's all the other stuff. You can fab a system if you have the time and skills, but it's not the easiest thing in the world.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked a lot of these questions 8 years ago, just can't seem to find the old threads!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for video fordf250hdxlt! I was hoping to maybe use the dt turbo and maybe just stud it, but it appears theres more to it than that! I had a 90 with sidewinder, and it would pull 80 coming up floyd hill west of denver! would love to have that system on current truck!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they don't pop up for sale too often.they're pretty pricey new.i was fortunate to find a used kit for both trucks.i was going to just keep the big truck n/a but when another banks kit turned up here in the marketplace.........i couldn't help it.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online