Driving video/transmission opinion

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
How'd you get your camera to mount there?

Btw can't really help ya with your question, i've never had an E4OD.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd you get your camera to mount there?

10 minutes with a cutting torch, some scrap steal, and a welder got me the mount. Then I fitted part of a broken tripod we had laying around to the mount and hey presto you got your self a camera mount.;Sweet This picture is from when we had it mounted on the Steiger ST-280 (cummins 855 :puke: LOL) to record it pushing/packing corn silage up the pile (its a sweet video). I mounted it to my bumper in the same fashion though.
You must be registered for see images

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since i've drove one of those early E4OD's but I think they're pretty much all like that- someone else who has one might chime in though...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its really hard for me to tell if your foot is moving on the throttle or if the transmission upshift is causing the change in noise. They do seem to be set to shift mushy from the factory.....although I've never driven a bone stock E4OD so take that with a grain of salt.

Here is a demo of mine with some valve body mods, and an aftermarket computer (up to about the 5 minute mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEUJ28ra1Y

The 2nd - 3rd shift is crisp enough to cause a slight jolt of the camera if you look closely. The later high speed 3 - 4 shift at 75 MPH also causes a slight bump that you can just barely see.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission likes to be in 3rd gear and lock the torque converter by 30 mph. Its like it shifts way to soon, and then it has the mushy shift which i blame on the factory computer. It really is annoying when towing and yer taking off from a stop light and keeping up with traffic until it decides to go to 3rd gear and lock the torque convert dropping the rpm's to about 1100 (usually around 30 mph). Even with the pedal floored it stays locked. This is all with overdrive off BTW. I just wish it would spend some more time in each gear and wait to lock the torque converter until I'm done gaining speed. After reading on here its looking like my best bet is to get the bauman (sp?) transmission computer that totally replaces the factory one.

Edit: David85 Just read the description in your video and saw that your using that computer. How do you like it, is it worth the money?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Baumannator TCS is worth every penny but the computer with wiring harness runs $650 and you have to install and program it. This to my knowledge is actually the cheapest computer of it's kind on the market but its still more than most are willing or able to spend.

Something is not right with your truck though. I'm betting the TPS (throttle position sensor) is set a little too low. Basically, the computer doesn't know your foot is to the floor so it's shifting under the assumption you are driving like there is a bucket of water over your head.

At idle setting (engine off) the reading should be 0.8V -1.2V.
At full throttle position (also engine off), the reading should be anywhere between 3.8V-4.5V.

This gives you a range to play with if its somewhere in there and you don't like how shifts.

Be sure to mark the current position of the sensor before changing anything in case you have to go back to your original starting point for some reason.

Also check the dynamic reading of the sensor with your volt meter to see if there are any spikes or flat spots as the signal ramps up. If there are, the sensor needs to be replaced (its way cheaper than a new transmission).

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick video I made trying out my camera mount. Also that's how my transmission always shifts (when I don't have it floored), is that how all E4's shift (to early when giving partial throttle and taking forever to shift at full):dunno Just looking for some opinion's

My transmission likes to be in 3rd gear and lock the torque converter by 30 mph. Its like it shifts way to soon, and then it has the mushy shift which i blame on the factory computer. It really is annoying when towing and yer taking off from a stop light and keeping up with traffic until it decides to go to 3rd gear and lock the torque convert dropping the rpm's to about 1100 (usually around 30 mph). Even with the pedal floored it stays locked. This is all with overdrive off BTW. I just wish it would spend some more time in each gear and wait to lock the torque converter until I'm done gaining speed. After reading on here its looking like my best bet is to get the bauman (sp?) transmission computer that totally replaces the factory one.

An E4OD will shift from 1st to 2nd at 12 MPH then shift 2nd to 3rd at 27 MPH at 36 MPH it will shift into OD, which is TC lockup. Now saying that, that is if you would hold the throttle at a reasonable speed to attain that. The shifting points are determined by the TPS mounted on the IP, the voltage output at idle from the TPS to the computer should be .95 to 1.2 and at full throttle 3.5 to 4. An incorrect voltage span will cause the shift points to be soft or hard due to the hydraulic pressure within the valve body overcoming the spring resistance on the valves. At full throttle never letting up, it will upshift thru the gears by hydraulic pressure until 57-62 MPH then go into TC lockup, overdrive. This is of course with the OD turned ON.
I think in 94.5 the TPS was mounted on the foot peddle.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I think I'm gonna take a look at my TPS. Won't be able to do that until not this weekend but next cause I'm at college and the truck is at home. So I'm gonna do that and then go from there.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
That is the normal shifting characteristics of the E4OD.

Play with the FIPL or TPS the same part. Dial it to your liking. But don't go beyond the specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online