Downpipe?

Preems14

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my exhaust mainly for the downpipe. Does anyone sell the downpipe for the factory turbo, or do i have to buy a whole exhaust kit?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my exhaust mainly for the downpipe. Does anyone sell the downpipe for the factory turbo, or do i have to buy a whole exhaust kit?

I heard that banks did, but I dont know if they still do. If not, the ATS upgrade kit is your only option unless you go custom.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of think it doesn't but Mel would be the guy to ask about hypermax stuff. 4x4truckingirl, classicfordguy and probably others have done something like weld a piece of 3" pipe to the factory flange and then bolt on an appropriately bent pipe or appropriately sized flexpipe. Lots cheaper and easier than the ATS kit. I think the hypermax downpipe is good but really different from the ATS/Ford stuff, but I'm not totally sure.

Preems14

Reaction score
I would make something myself but i would have troubles accessing a welder and ive only welded a few times in shop class at school and i wouldnt want to weld something then put it on my truck i wouldnt trust it.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ats upgraded housing and downpipe but never installed yet due to the housing. The outlet of the housing is too small to fit a 3" inside of it. Tried all of the tricks of freezing and heating but no luck. So I would stay away from ats if I was you. just my .02 though.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would there be any way to make room for a 4" setup if you went custom?

Maybe........You would likely need a body lift of about 3 inches and a big sledge to make a down pipe shaped dent down your firewall. 4 inch would be really tight between the engine/tanny and the firewall.:dunno

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just get a 3 inch bent at a shop and cut your flange off and have them weld it on after you get it fitted and marked, the stock pipe is really restricted, and I will say it again, yes the housing upgrade is nice but we did one at work as I described and it made one hell of a difference. And if the new housings are junk, then what is the point of fighting with a business that doesnt want to support older trucks anyway.
I am cranky today.:backoff

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
ATS makes a factory downpipe for this truck, cost is about 150$ and last I checked it was on backorder for who knows how long according to the extremely helpful rep............

now, what I ended up doing....... took 2.5" exhaust pipe, cut off the factory flange and cut n welded the pipe till it seated up their properly..... my cost...... F R E E........ (time + welding) It was supposed to be 3" DP but that required beating of the firewall, which is fine, but for ease ended up doing the 2.5".....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online