Door Striker troubles...

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I've ran into this previously...new door strikers from Napa, that the bushing seems too large. I replaced one today, and you can tell when you close and open the door, that the dogs on the door latch are dragging on the striker bushing. Anyone else had this trouble? Do you think my latch is worn out and not opening enough, or that it's a striker issue?

Chris

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those striker pins can be adjusted in any position possible. Yes.. There are two differant diameters of plastic rolls too....

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Yeah it's not an adjustment issue, you can tell it's dragging on the top and bottom of the plastic.

So, I ordered it for an 81, which is what my cab is...any idea which years had the smaller or larger diameters?

Thanks.
Chris

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you sure you hinge pins aren't shot? If they are worn out it will be ok with a worn door striker but if you try to match a new one up against it, you won't be able to close the door with it in the same position

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had the same issues with mine...had a bushing break over winter. my hinge pins are fine. i ended up taking the bushing off the new bracket and sanding it down in a drill...it still sticks a bit but its better and will actually latch and come open now

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Are you sure you hinge pins aren't shot? If they are worn out it will be ok with a worn door striker but if you try to match a new one up against it, you won't be able to close the door with it in the same position

thats what i was thinking, your hinges have probubly "settled" some over time. how are the body gaps around the door? if your door is lifting up when it latches closed your hinges need attention.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Yeah it's not an adjustment issue,s

you guys are missing what he is saying. the diameter of the bushing is too big. adjustment isn't a factor there. when i replaced mine the post and bushing wouldn't physically allow the latch pawl to come down inside the latch assembly properly. as i reduced the diameter it began to work properly but still sticks. i left it so it was a bit tight so it will kind of wear into place a bit.

my truck only has 120k on it and wasnt beaten. the doors do not sag at all. there is no play in the hinges and the gaps are all fine.

no matter where i adjusted the striker pin i had the same issue.

long story short....figure out a way to turn down the diameter of the bushing

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just go to the HELP section of the parts store where they keep those things and they will have the bushings in a pack, usually they will sell both the large and small in the same pack for some reason, probably because nobody knows what size they need. Chances are you just need the small one

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ran into an isue with the help section bushings.theyre either too short or too long.if thats the case take the long one and grind it down till it fits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726