Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it Darrin.... Hope you get it nailed down soon... Good luck. Supposedly we have the first signifigant lake effect snow storm of the winter season coming sunday nite and monday down here. Can't wait.... bring it on... Let it snow...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys,...Running out of time and patience on this thing.

UPDATE....

I was busy with other stuff yesterday so this morning I pulled the head,....I DIDN'T BLOW A HEAD GASKET,..It looks Great!

So what Happened,..?, I don't know, but here are the symptoms.

The temp shot up to 230, and it burped out of the radiator. I lost heat out of the vents,. I shut it down, it cooled down to 150, filled the radiator back up, took about a gallon. drove it again took back-roads the rest of the way into the shop. I would have heat out of the vents when the temp would drop to 150 or so, then it would climb up to bout 200. it lost heat, I would coast, shutting it off when I could to try to limp into the shop. I made it without ever overheating it.

What I did find is OIL/COMBUSTION SLUDGE Inside the overflow bottle, and onec I cold see inside the radiator it was all over inside the cooling system and in the motor once I got the head off.

Here are a few pics:

The bubble you see inside of cyl 2 is spilled antifreeze from pulling the head:

You must be registered for see images

Shot of the head:

Pic of the head gasket:

Pic of the sludge:

Overflow Bottle:

I am also wondering what this is, on the side of the cyl wall number 1. I have not tried to wipe it off yet but could this be a crack in the cyl wall?

So did the oil cooler let go? and would that make it over heat and act like a head gasket?
is that a crack in the block acting like a head gasket?
Should I get the head checked for cracks etc?

Looking for any input on this guys, thanks for your help,..our first real snow is coming in on Monday,...so this is Real Bad Timing!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
did you wipe that spot off on the cyl wall? what does it look like after beibng cleaned up?

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I'd think oil cooler, if you start pumpin oil into the cooling system, depending how big the leak is, it's gonna overflow somewhere, and yes overheat. I have seen those oil coolers fail big similar to that before...

I'd back the fuel/ boost off for a while after you get it fixed to see how it runs.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I'd think oil cooler, if you start pumpin oil into the cooling system, depending how big the leak is, it's gonna overflow somewhere, and yes overheat. I have seen those oil coolers fail big similar to that before...

I'd back the fuel/ boost off for a while after you get it fixed to see how it runs.

I think you hit the nail on the head,..It appears that the oil residue was restricting the antifreeze flow, thus resulting in a pattern that would suggest a Head Gasket.. So it looks like I pulled the head for no good reason, and I will now be going after that oil cooler.

The head was sent out to the machine shop yesterday to get checked out just for piece of mind. Should have it back by Tuesday and would like to have it back on the road by Wednesday.

Thanks for the input!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head was sent out to the machine shop yesterday to get checked out just for piece of mind. Should have it back by Tuesday and would like to have it back on the road by Wednesday.
IMHO that was the right call...you've gone through the trouble to remove it; may as well make 100% certain that everything's happy and healthy on the head before putting it on. Besides, maybe it'll be easier to clean out some of the coolant passages with the head off.

Have you pulled the oil cooler yet? How are these set up, compared to the IDI oil coolers? Do these fail "commonly", and what are the weak spots on the oil coolers? Also, since I'm already pestering you with questions ;) how do the 4BT and 6BT oil coolers compare to each other?

jwc

Reaction score
Interesting project Droopy, I'm getting ready to start putting a 95 4BT in an 81 Bronco. Does anyone have any suggestions on motor mounts and set backs for this particular application, also transmissions?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Update for today,.

I took the Oil Cooler to Cummins and had it tested, that was NOT cheap..but it tested out fine, no leaks. I bought some new Cummins Gaskets,..Oil Cooler, Head, Intake and Exhaust, and headed back to the shop.

Got the Oil Cooler installed, Pulled the Radiator and got that flushed out.

Still waiting for my Head to get back from the machine ship, That may be Wednesday.

Thats it for now,.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to ask, but if the oil cooler tested okay and the head gasket was happy, what are the other possibilities at this point?