Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should be working but i decided to make some coffee and read up on this swap. Darrin, i felt so bad for you when the first motor blew its head gasket.....then it blew another! I would have considered scrapping the idea at the first head gasket blowing, let along the second. I certainly don't think i would have bought another motor to do it all over again. I may have gone to the 12v 6bt at this point had i not thrown in the literal shop towel.

However, after seeing this, i want to go buy some shiny parts for my truck, nothing fancy......maybe just start with some new shocks.........

thanks for the read

I'm going to work, for real this time

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the truck! Was never a 4bt fan until seeing this thread. The IC was a really good idea, I mean really! And the stock Ford small block pattern fit the Cummins? Interesting. I really want to see the updates, and of course am always a ***** for seeing custom truck work pictures... It's a beautiful truck. I'd hate to see it hit the salt though, plowing or just driving. I swear the big manufacturers pay the municipalities to use as much of the NaCl crap they spray and broadcast down on the winter roads.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt like my michellins with that tread, too much of a highway tread for me and dry rotted too soon. If you had them then might as well use them i guess.

Pretty cool swap!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
i should be working but i decided to make some coffee and read up on this swap. Darrin, i felt so bad for you when the first motor blew its head gasket.....then it blew another! I would have considered scrapping the idea at the first head gasket blowing, let along the second. I certainly don't think i would have bought another motor to do it all over again. I may have gone to the 12v 6bt at this point had i not thrown in the literal shop towel.

However, after seeing this, i want to go buy some shiny parts for my truck, nothing fancy......maybe just start with some new shocks.........

thanks for the read

I'm going to work, for real this time

Thanks for the props, Not a quick read for sure, hope yo got SOME work done! Yea it was a frustrating, learning experience but I was determined to get it done with the 4bt, It all turned out for the good, and I love the truck with that motor. I have put about 4500 miles on it so far this summer and it is a great setup.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run tires with a similar tread on a 2wd 76 F100 and they worked incredibly well in snow. That's all I am going to say.
:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
opusd2

Love the truck! Was never a 4bt fan until seeing this thread. The IC was a really good idea, I mean really! And the stock Ford small block pattern fit the Cummins? Interesting. I really want to see the updates, and of course am always a ***** for seeing custom truck work pictures... It's a beautiful truck. I'd hate to see it hit the salt though, plowing or just driving. I swear the big manufacturers pay the municipalities to use as much of the NaCl crap they spray and broadcast down on the winter roads.

Thanks!, The IC was a perfect fit, I got it from Steve here on the board. It was also handy that the stock intercooler tubes from the Step van were a perfect fit as well!

You can get adapters from Cummins to about any trans, If you get a 4bt out of a Ford chassis step van, it is bolted to a small block pattern, t19 4sp tranny, so it will bolt up to a zf5 or Mazda 5sp tranny. Same for the Chevy Chassis also.

Unfortunately it will see salt, and will be rusting, starting to get bubbles from the 4 year old paint job already, but it is a Plow Truck. I just know that some day I will put a rust free Body on it and keep it on the road for a long time to come. I already have a Brand New Hood sitting in my shop knowing it will get installed someday.

tanman_2006

I didnt like my michellins with that tread, too much of a highway tread for me and dry rotted too soon. If you had them then might as well use them i guess.

Pretty cool swap!

Yea the tires and rims were free, and the tires are NEW..you cant go wrong with Michelines, so I will use them. I have set of rims and snow tires that I can use for the winter. if needed.

Thanks again guys!

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats too bad ... sure am curious what its doin .. are you using it for your DD now ...
My brothers son in law put a 4BT in a 95 dodge reg cab with a six inch lift and 37" tires and running @ 70 MPH he gets around 27 depending on terain ... he pulls a 32' enclosed job trailer with it and the only thing he dont like is the short wheelbase when pulling the trailer .... He says he is a little dissapointed with the power ... but 37's ... what do you expect from a 4 banger ...
I'll bet that if you have at least 3.73 or 355 gears in droopy that it will do over 30mpg on the Hwy ...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while,..Yes The Pics disappeared when Webshots closed their site...One of these days I will upload them to my Photo Bucket account and re add them to this thread,..Don't know when but that is my intention.