Does Start!!

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
I figured Ive seen so many posts on here about " My truck wont start". I thought I would write one that my truck does.

10 below last night and the truck fired right up this morning. No plug in just turn the key. New starter, injectors, GP's, batteries and return lines equal easy starts.

Keep these things mantained and your truck will start to. My 2 cents.

Lee

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Good compression helps too. I want mine to be that reliable and not question it starting, like I was with my old Mercedes.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Mine fires right off too at -15, if I plug it in. But it sucks trying to start it after work when it's been sitting in the parking lot all day. I wait for the glow plugs to stop clicking then it's a small shot of either, and it fires right up. I'll wait till it warms up a little before I go tackling that problem.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fires right off too at -15, if I plug it in. But it sucks trying to start it after work when it's been sitting in the parking lot all day. I wait for the glow plugs to stop clicking then it's a small shot of either, and it fires right up. I'll wait till it warms up a little before I go tackling that problem.

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, I don't mean to insult you or act like a know-it-all. I and most on this board would recommend never using either in a diesel, unless its with a completely disabled glowplug system. I really hope I never get desperate enough to ever try it in any diesel. Otherwise the either can ignite off the hot plug at the wrong part time and break stuff fast. I've seen a hole in an engine block from too much either with glowplugs on. Maybe you could find a place to plug in at work, or wire up a manual glowplug control switch. The manual switch is easy to do and lets you be the brains behind starting. I love mine.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Add me to that NO start list. -20 and leaky return caps on #1 and #3 cylinders. I think it's time to put that kit on that I got from Typ4.

Two new batteries from Cat should help me get'r rolling the coal on cold mornings, I can't wait to get those installed and see what happens next cold mornings.

What REALLY grinds my gears is we have amply underground parking at my building for ALL tennants to have a nice warm spot....but my landlord's boss won't let us use the garage. Her "husband" needs a workshop for his business that is totally unrelated to the parent company and apartment buildings. Hell, offered to pay $25 a month (which is the same as underground parking per month) to plug my truck in JUST during cold nights. I was told EXTREMELY rudely that I could not.

Recently I found out that the head office wants that garage open to us tennants, but the woman that told me no had told head office that no one wants in the garage and we have ample parking...they don't know the difference....until I email them today with my request to have a spot underground in a nice heated, secured and well lit garage!!!

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
One other funny story.. The same morning my Bro in law was home from Kentucky(he is in the military) had just bought a brand new car only had 7 miles on it.. He tried to start his and click click. Had to jump him with the big D. I just laughed.

Lee

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't come out wrong, I don't mean to insult you or act like a know-it-all. I and most on this board would recommend never using either in a diesel, unless its with a completely disabled glowplug system. I really hope I never get desperate enough to ever try it in any diesel. Otherwise the either can ignite off the hot plug at the wrong part time and break stuff fast. I've seen a hole in an engine block from too much either with glowplugs on. Maybe you could find a place to plug in at work, or wire up a manual glowplug control switch. The manual switch is easy to do and lets you be the brains behind starting. I love mine.

YA, I've heard it a hundred times on this board, but I'm ignorant. Theres absolutely no place to plug it in during the day. Without starting fluid it would never start, I'm careful about it though, I give it quit a bit of time before I spray anything into it. There cheap autolites so I'm sure their probably cold by the time I get around to turning it over. The manual over ride would be the best way to go, but I'm sure my wife would have them things burnt up the first try. She can't figure out how to start it anyway. Tomorrow I'm installing a toggle for the fast idle, I'll look at the glow plug controller while I'm under there and make sure I have a good ground, and main wire.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is this negative weather you guy's speak of? the coldest i have had to deal with is about 22*

edit; and that was freaky cold for sacramento.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Add me to that NO start list. -20 and leaky return caps on #1 and #3 cylinders. I think it's time to put that kit on that I got from Typ4.

Two new batteries from Cat should help me get'r rolling the coal on cold mornings, I can't wait to get those installed and see what happens next cold mornings.

What REALLY grinds my gears is we have amply underground parking at my building for ALL tennants to have a nice warm spot....but my landlord's boss won't let us use the garage. Her "husband" needs a workshop for his business that is totally unrelated to the parent company and apartment buildings. Hell, offered to pay $25 a month (which is the same as underground parking per month) to plug my truck in JUST during cold nights. I was told EXTREMELY rudely that I could not.

Recently I found out that the head office wants that garage open to us tennants, but the woman that told me no had told head office that no one wants in the garage and we have ample parking...they don't know the difference....until I email them today with my request to have a spot underground in a nice heated, secured and well lit garage!!!

SIC EM-one way or the other--id hang em--somehow--grrrrrrrrr:puke::puke:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
YA, I've heard it a hundred times on this board, but I'm ignorant. Theres absolutely no place to plug it in during the day. Without starting fluid it would never start, I'm careful about it though, I give it quit a bit of time before I spray anything into it. There cheap autolites so I'm sure their probably cold by the time I get around to turning it over. The manual over ride would be the best way to go, but I'm sure my wife would have them things burnt up the first try. She can't figure out how to start it anyway. Tomorrow I'm installing a toggle for the fast idle, I'll look at the glow plug controller while I'm under there and make sure I have a good ground, and main wire.

OK, So you're shooting ether in on top of charged Autolites ... you must really have a latent need to want to pull the heads off that engine cookoo.
For what you are spending on starting fluid, it wouldn't take long to just buy a new set of Beru plugs and quit playing Russian Roulette with your engine,, either that or disconnect the wire to the glow plug controller if you are going to keep shooting that stuff in, but NEVER shoot ether in on top of active glow plugs. You;ll be dang lucky if you don't already have chunks of precups or glow plug tips broken off rattling around in there shreding your cylinder walls or snapping off valve lips or worse.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
OK, So you're shooting ether in on top of charged Autolites ... you must really have a latent need to want to pull the heads off that engine cookoo.
For what you are spending on starting fluid, it wouldn't take long to just buy a new set of Beru plugs and quit playing Russian Roulette with your engine,, either that or disconnect the wire to the glow plug controller if you are going to keep shooting that stuff in, but NEVER shoot ether in on top of active glow plugs. You;ll be dang lucky if you don't already have chunks of precups or glow plug tips broken off rattling around in there shreding your cylinder walls or snapping off valve lips or worse.

Why do you call them active when I told you that I wait till they go through the cycle? The reason I had to put autolites in and not motorcraft isn't because I'm cheap, Theres only a couple dollar difference. It's because when you work 6 days a week and your in the parts store on a sunday afternoon, and the tell you that they had to order the motorcraft's, so your kind of stuck with what they've got. I knew I was going to get harassed over it sooner or later. Maybe I'll install an other toggle to the main lead of the glow plug controller to shut the whole thing off while I'm preparing to blow myself to the moon.

One thing is, when people talk about cycling their glow plugs more then once. When I try to cycle it the second time, the wait to start light only stays on for a second. So I'm figuring that I'm not doing any good. Is that from the cheap plugs, or is there something else going on in there?

Something that I think is pretty cool though, is that there installing heaters on all the equipment at work that kick on at a programed time and heat the oil up for 2 hours, running off the vehicles batteries. So when we get there everything's warmed up and ready to start. There $1200 though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why do you call them active when I told you that I wait till they go through the cycle? The reason I had to put autolites in and not motorcraft isn't because I'm cheap, Theres only a couple dollar difference. It's because when you work 6 days a week and your in the parts store on a sunday afternoon, and the tell you that they had to order the motorcraft's, so your kind of stuck with what they've got. I knew I was going to get harassed over it sooner or later. Maybe I'll install an other toggle to the main lead of the glow plug controller to shut the whole thing off while I'm preparing to blow myself to the moon.

One thing is, when people talk about cycling their glow plugs more then once. When I try to cycle it the second time, the wait to start light only stays on for a second. So I'm figuring that I'm not doing any good. Is that from the cheap plugs, or is there something else going on in there?

Something that I think is pretty cool though, is that there installing heaters on all the equipment at work that kick on at a programed time and heat the oil up for 2 hours, running off the vehicles batteries. So when we get there everything's warmed up and ready to start. There $1200 though.

A glow plug gets metal to red hot. Now, Have you ever taken a welding torch to a piece of metal and got it red hot, then sat there and waited on it to cool down to the touch? You've got a mighty long wait on your hands. Just the time it takes for the controller to quit cycling is not time enough for a glow plug tip to cool down.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe the folks who manufacture the starter fluid
this is from the label of one of them:
"Valvoline Extra-Strength Starting Fluid with Upper Cylinder Lubricant is designed to start gasoline and diesel engines quickly in cold conditions.

Product Features:

* Safe and effective for year-round use in gasoline and diesel engines, including cars, trucks, lawn mowers, chain saws, marine engines and motorcycles; not for use in diesel engines with glow plugs
* Regular use provides fast startups and prevents excessive wear on the battery and starter
* Combustion-ready at -40°F
* Made in the USA"
Other brands have similar warnings.:angel:
With ether it's either No glow plugs at all, or no ether Period!
If you disconnect the controller, you can shoot go juice in there fine.
But you have a functioning controller, so it makes sense to get the plugs
Since the way you describe the controller function, I'll assume you have a 7.3 , Ryder fleet products has zd9 plugs for 10.83 ea and the zd1a for 10.83 ea as well

The way you describe it short cycling , it already has at least one plug burned out, probably more, The controller is timed by sensing the internal resistance of the plugs which normally varies with temperature, but when you have one or more failed plugs in the circuit, it will cycle faster. A second cycling will always be shorter but should go more than 2 seconds, and anyway, off engine tests of autolites have show that burning them the time that it would take for the length of 2 complete burns would be long enough to burn out most autolite plugs the first time