Does Start!!

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Why do they still sell the junk then? Autolites that is. It makes sense though, maybe one burnt out right away, because the short cycle problems been there even when the plugs were brand new. Before I put the new plugs in I didn't have any kind of cycle, maybe 1 second. And I thought I was doing better having a 6 second cycle like I do now. I'm working on it, I think there's alot more going wrong with it then just the glow plugs. About the time I can all this cold weather starting fixed, it will be warm out.LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why do they still sell the junk then? Autolites that is. It makes sense though, maybe one burnt out right away, because the short cycle problems been there even when the plugs were brand new. Before I put the new plugs in I didn't have any kind of cycle, maybe 1 second. And I thought I was doing better having a 6 second cycle like I do now. I'm working on it, I think there's alot more going wrong with it then just the glow plugs. About the time I can all this cold weather starting fixed, it will be warm out.LOL

Why do they sell them? Heck if I know. Just like any other bad idea company that just keeps going and selling junk on top of junk. Still to cut autolite some slack, even other brands that last for years on end in European vehicles fold in a few weeks in these engines. I was used to running Bosch plugs in everything I serviced from my shop , all European vehicles where the plugs would last for years, sometimes ten or more years, all Bosch, but I put them in my IDI and they didn't last a week, then I ate my crow and bowed to the collective wisdom and put Berus in that were still perfect a year later. It's Beru or nothing on these things.
In your climate the things should be holding on for about 15 seconds or so before the controller begins clicking at this time of year.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
...Why do they still sell the junk then?...

Good question. They are made for 6 volts in a 12 volt starting system to heat up faster. ****** idea if you ask me.

Since I've had my diesel for nearly 3 years now, I've gone through 24 GP's. They just fail sometimes, no swelling, just not working anymore. Then some swell, or break off, or develope growths (kind of like swelling, but more like a pen tip on the side of the plug formation).

I've even burned out a set of 10.5 volt rated plugs. I'm not running berus at the moment because I'm caught up in my own solution, but I hear good things about them. Just be carefull with the manual switch going to the Autolights or the Motorcrafts, because the beru's will still fail if left on too long.

If for some reason you are unable to get good plugs, this is the route I would take...Take the plugs out of the truck and ohm them, any that are .5 ish ohms or greater should be replaced with the same plugs. Then hook up to the momentary switch. This is where you have to be careful. Don't hook up the switch and have the controller working at the same time if you're running Autolights because you need to be in control at all times. When It's cold out give the plugs a few cycles of 5 second bursts. See if she starts. If not, then do more cycles, allowing like 10 second cool-down periods inbetween burns. All you're trying to do is get some heat into the cylinders w/o doing it in one long cycle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online