Does My IDI have enough POWER??

Jonjeep

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a '90 extended cab 4x4 e4od. I have had a problem with the MLPS or neutral position safety switch. I replaced the switch but not the connector, so the transmission still neutrals out... Replacing the connector is beyond my skill level, I will pay to have that replaced... My question is:

1. How well will the truck pull a 5000 lb trailer up a grade? Can I at least pull a 4% grade at 55 mph?? My ladyfriend says the truck does not have enough " go-power" to pull a 2 horse trailer up a mountain and keep up w/ traffic. I say, after I get the switch fixed it will do fine. Any opinions or knowledge welcomed, I have owned the truck for 4 months and I really like the IDI!! This forum is great also!! Jon

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is on the floor @62mph on a 5% grade empty. I doubt if you will be able to maintain 55mph on a 4% with a 5k trailer behind you.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna take a lot of work if you WANT to do it with out a turbo. Cam, ported heads, headers, and alot of smoke.

OR.... Get a turbo on that pig.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Or some real real low gears.... I'm talking redline at 65. Not practical though. She may have you beat. Get a pyrometer then give er hell. Just don't melt it down. As they say "Go hard or go home." Lol

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the rest of these guys, I doubt it. It's been so long since I drove my NA that I honestly can't remember what it was like. With a turbo, it would... I can say that for sure. It's more likely if the truck has 4.10 gears but lots less likely if it has 3.54.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the hurry? These trucks are old school. No one remembers the old days when all the cars passed the big trucks pulling a hill, or getting aggravated when you get stuck behind them. If you see a hill coming, floor it before you get there and get some momentum up.

Who is paying for the fuel? While you are limping up a hill with it to the floor, you are getting much better fuel mileage than the turboed trucks who are on boost, and pouring the fuel into the engine. You don't get something for nothing.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the hurry? These trucks are old school. No one remembers the old days when all the cars passed the big trucks pulling a hill, or getting aggravated when you get stuck behind them. If you see a hill coming, floor it before you get there and get some momentum up.

Who is paying for the fuel? While you are limping up a hill with it to the floor, you are getting much better fuel mileage than the turboed trucks who are on boost, and pouring the fuel into the engine. You don't get something for nothing.

Exactly. It will make it up the hill, who cares if you are doing 35mph or less at the top. (well maybe the guy behind you, but he will get over it)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least hes in eugene which is prety close to me. Turn up the pump a flat with a pyrometer on there of course, 10% makes a big difference and a free flow exhaust.
And ive got a couple used turbo kits:sly

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a 5 spd manual behind it, and I've pulled a load similar to yours a few thousand miles. I purposely avoid driving I-70 because of the long 6% grades, I don't care to be doing 25 in second gear near redline. On smaller hills its still 2nd and 3rd gear 25-35 miles per hour, watching the temp gauge, and keeping the rpms up to keep the exhaust temps down. This is turboed, with a good (not moose, just a quality stock rebuild), timed injection pump and matched BB code injectors. These trucks will not get you over the hills fast, but so mine hasn't broken down out on the road without letting me know first.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has a 5 spd manual behind it, and I've pulled a load similar to yours a few thousand miles. I purposely avoid driving I-70 because of the long 6% grades, I don't care to be doing 25 in second gear near redline. On smaller hills its still 2nd and 3rd gear 25-35 miles per hour, watching the temp gauge, and keeping the rpms up to keep the exhaust temps down. This is turboed, with a good (not moose, just a quality stock rebuild), timed injection pump and matched BB code injectors. These trucks will not get you over the hills fast, but so mine hasn't broken down out on the road without letting me know first.

how much were you grossing there? this is the '94? 3.55 or 4.10?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
While you are limping up a hill with it to the floor, you are getting much better fuel mileage than the turboed trucks who are on boost, and pouring the fuel into the engine. You don't get something for nothing.

Really????

i don't see how a turbo makes the engine use more fuel. all you are doing is routing spent exhaust gasses by a wheel to spin another wheel on the intake side. i don't see how that would cause lower fuel mileage if anything it would help mpg b/c you don't need to have your foot threw the floor while going up the hill, egt's will be lower, the engine might not be turning as fast.

while your N/A truck is pouring the fuel to and not getting much of anything in return, my turbo truck will be using those spent exhaust gases to help pull the truck and trailer up the hill.;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really????

i don't see how a turbo makes the engine use more fuel. all you are doing is routing spent exhaust gasses by a wheel to spin another wheel on the intake side. i don't see how that would cause lower fuel mileage if anything it would help mpg b/c you don't need to have your foot threw the floor while going up the hill, egt's will be lower, the engine might not be turning as fast.

while your N/A truck is pouring the fuel to and not getting much of anything in return, my turbo truck will be using those spent exhaust gases to help pull the truck and trailer up the hill.;Sweet
I agree.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Really????

the turbo doesnt make the engine burn more fuel, it lets it burn more fuel (more power) and more efficiently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka

Staff online