Does anyone want my truck?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
It's official. I have my Wife's blessing to go out and buy a Dodge Cummins.
Not sure if my truck would even be an acceptable trade in, with the current issues. I still drive it every day,but it does have some issues. I started throwing rough dollar estimates at the wife, and she said to just get rid of it.
Issues: Both tanks need sending unit and vent work. Truck will not shut off. you can pull the wires off the injector pump, and she just keeps running. I just put it in 5th gear and let out the clutch to kill it. When taking off, the clutch jerks a little, and the clutch must be pushed firmly to the floor to get it in gear. I have the clutch mod already made, but my hands are just too big to work under the dash to install it.
I was thinking about putting a clutch in it, Raw dog has a clutch and DMF for sale, I PM'ed him about it and some wheels, but never followed up on it.
As to the shut down problem, I really don't want to change the injection pump, because I'm afraid that I'd never be able to get it set up as well as it is right now. It's as close to perfect as perfect can get. under hard acceleration, it smokes just enough to tell it's smoking, but not so much that you can see a cloud, just a very light haze of black smoke coming out of the tail pipe, and it pulls like a banshee.
New wiper motor, New wiper switch, black box completely re-soldered, and relocated so that the parking brake will never harm it again,
New windsheild,
New style starter, bought used off of ebay
SCA's are good and have been monitored ever since I owned the truck,
A/C will freeze your ass out, on 100 degree days, I can't heep it on high for long, I normally run it on normal.
New heater core
New Interstate batteries, the largest they had that would fit in the trays.
Extra ground cables, no more ground problems ever.
Cab and floorboards are rock solid, good carpet, Body is pretty strait, but I suspect some bondo in the bed.
Tailgate is toast, P/O couldn't seem to line up on a trailer to save his ass, and he seemed to forget about the tailgate when hooking/unhooking from the gooseneck. This is at least the second tailgate, and it's slammed.
New radiator
97,700 original miles
What's it worth as it sits?
What would it be worth if I fixed the fuel tanks, clutch and fuel shutoff?
I also have a spare 6.9 Complete, and a spare ZF-5 Diesel pattern, that needs gone through and assembled.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought three of them in about that shape for $2000 and felt I got a pretty good deal but then again, two were 4 WD which in my opinion, makes them worth more, one was an 85 F350 cab and chassis, which was VERY heavy duty and had a D60 under it which was worth half what I paid around here.

I would like to have it for the parts and the ZF5, but then again, I need 4 wd stuff.

Last edited:

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Is that apiece, or for all 3? for less than 700, I'll keep the damned thing and park it around back.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The new Dodges are nice, but are they really worth the asking price? You could put less than $5K into yours. And have a damn nice truck. Or you can spend $50K on a new one?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is that apiece, or for all 3? for less than 700, I'll keep the damned thing and park it around back.

All three! I am sure prices are different in different areas and I have had MANY people say "man, that truck is cool what will you sell it for?" and when I say "oh, I don't know, what will you give me for it?" I haven't heard a figure I would take for it yet...not sure what you are after, but I wouldn't hold my breath for big money, especially for one that has problems, sorry.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
The new Dodges are nice, but are they really worth the asking price? You could put less than $5K into yours. And have a damn nice truck. Or you can spend $50K on a new one?
Oh I'm not going to go brand new, I've been looking at 2000's with around 100k miles for between 20 and 25.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you've got at least one thing going on that's pretty scary. If you can even take the FSS wire off the solenoid adn it still won't shut down, I don't know what is causing it. Are yoiu burning oil? If not, then its the injection pump, or pump governor cover, or a bad pump. Does this mean the motor could runaway somehow? I don't know. The clutch and fuel tanks will be a couple more hundred bucks. I agree, for 900 bucks it can run pretty great. Now if you want a new Cummins you should do that if you can afford it. I still say fix your truck and sell it privately or else you'll not get what its worth. How is the body and interior?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
fuel tank vents fixed: $0
fuel senders fixed: they don't need to be really.... but to fix pickups 1hour +$10
new IP: $325
clutch pedal mod: free, since you have it already.... I have small hands apparently.

ok, so for $400 max (I'll change my last statement as $600 seems inflated now) and about 4-5 hours max, the truck can run without issues......

I'll offer you $701.50 this time.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
There was a guy sellling IP solonoids for 10 bux on ebay. Dunno if he's still there, but a local shop will prolly sell one for under $50

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the infamous "take two cummins and call me in the morning". :rolleyes:

Camarogenius

Reaction score
fuel tank vents fixed: $0
fuel senders fixed: they don't need to be really.... but to fix pickups 1hour +$10
new IP: $325
clutch pedal mod: free, since you have it already.... I have small hands apparently.

ok, so for $400 max (I'll change my last statement as $600 seems inflated now) and about 4-5 hours max, the truck can run without issues......

I'll offer you $701.50 this time.
The pick ups are only part of the problem, the guages don't work right either.
The clutch mod is only part of the issue, I think it needs a new clutch and flywheel.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
SWONK! Thats for thinking about getting a dodge.....SWONK!thats for Nit picking finding reasons to get rid of your truck.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Sounds like my truck when the FSS was stuck open. Not that hard to change. I think it cost about $70 or $80 from some diesel parts supplier. But that was back on TDS before OB became the place to hang out.