Does anyone make a kit to convert from V-Belts to Serpentine?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont believe so. All I've heard is people go and take the serpatine setup off of another IDI and swap it out.

tractorman86

Reaction score
the v belts are better in my mind, if you loose the ps pump and throw the belt that's all you loose and so on and so forth. if you loose a serp belt good fricking luck steering and stopping!!

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i have a serpentine on mine and it is a pain in the A$$ i wanna go back to V-belt. I don't like losing all the accessories at once, the belt tends to take out the tranny cooler lines, and in a pinch a pair of the wifes nylons just won't do the job.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm doing the v-belt to serpentine change over at the moment. As posted you need to find a 92 or up idi and take everything including all the pulleys. I have the two aluminum brakcets but none of the bolts yet. I don't run a radiater trans cooler so that wont be a problem if I loose the belt. I find the V-belts mostly loose the vacuum or alternater belt. The alternater is the back belt and I just hate removing all the belts just for that one. Also there are a couple of differant tensioners available. Get the one with the shock absorber on it. You also need the vacuum pump that is drilled and not threaded for mounts like we have in the V-belt setup. The alternater and air conditioner pump must be changed with the belt to serp setup. So theres plenty of "stuff" you need.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
actually does that work?

Dido, does it work? And if it does, how does one go about doing it? I've heard people talk about it before and laugh, so I always thought it was sort of a joke.....but I've never actually heard of someone doing it before.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
yes it does work i have used it on a '82 f-150 i owned with a 300-6 with a 4-speed tranny, i never thought that it would but my grandfather and uncles always told me to keep a package of nylons in my glove box for "the just in case". and hell it worked just like how i carry a spare "just get to town" driveshaft made out of square tubing.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see a 92 to 94 idi with the serpentine setup at the shop its got problems. My friend had one and we had him carry 2 belts, a new tenisoner, and some way to get the boken tensioner bolt out. I like my old v belts. I up graded to gates fleet/truck belts and run an extra idler pulley for the alt belt. There was a post on here a year or so back about adding the pulley to the water pump housing. Thats my opinion

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i like my serp belt set up, if i loose a belt i can chancge it with one wrench and about 5 mins looping it. try changing all the v belts that fast.

yes idlers can go out and the tensioner can go out but if you are adding idlers to a v belt set up you are in the same boat there. a serp belt set up is more efficiant and keeps the proper tension on everything. V belts arent bad this is just a step up.

anyway to answer the original post i have never seen a kit. i am pulling my set up off a blown 7.3 for my 6.9.

DarkwingDork

Reaction score
I hate changing v-belts! Hate the slop in the alternator belt! I've thought about the serp conversion...keep in mind, you won't have belts break if you inspect them regularly and replace as needed. I've never had a belt break, because I'm CAREFUL. But, If you've ever tried steering without ps, or stopping without the vacuum pump...both are nearly impossible. I'd leave the v-belts.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I hate changing v-belts! Hate the slop in the alternator belt! I've thought about the serp conversion...keep in mind, you won't have belts break if you inspect them regularly and replace as needed. I've never had a belt break, because I'm CAREFUL. But, If you've ever tried steering without ps, or stopping without the vacuum pump...both are nearly impossible. I'd leave the v-belts.

I am a proffessional oilfield truck driver i have to pre-trip once a day to be legal. I go over the wifes, sons and my own vehicle once a week just as thoroughly as a pre-trip in my proffessional life and i have also installed hour meters in them and do the engine maintenance according to the hours oil change and all filters replaced every 300hrs. and all belts and air cleaners every 1500hrs. but as we all know when it comes to anything mechanical Murphy unfortunately is the king.

my personal saying in life: chance favours the prepared mind.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Hmmm, seems to definitely be some mixed feeling on the serp setup. I dont know if there is something in particular that is odd when converting to a serpentine setup, but on my '97 I can't imagine NOT having it...Just replaced the stock belt @ 217k miles...Finally replaced it just to be safe...Had 1 idler pulley bearing go out, no big deal, it got noisy to I changed it. Other than that ship shape.

When looking at these V Belts yesterday on my buddys truck he just got, those v belts just seem like a hassle...tightening them, but not too much, making sure they aren't hitting each other or anything else etc... But I do see both sides, I have driven my '97 without the belt for diagnostic purposes and yes, steering/braking a little tricky without the power steering and vac pump LOL

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i think the v belts are a pain in the arrss and thats from a professional stand point and on my personal truck serp. is the only way to go i cant wait till i find the parts
papabear i hope you are running synthetic because 300hrs is like 10,000 miles

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
Ford made a kit. the part # was f7tz-8g011-aa (for the F-series). don't know if it's still available though