Dodge Vs Ford Vs Chevy..............

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Leaving Engines out of this who has the more capable chassis for heavy offroad use?? Out here on the Ranches, construction, logging and oilfield operations we see a majority of Fords. The Dodges seem to have body integrity problems and Chevies are just to low slung to clear a lot of our logging roads. You also NEVER see a Dodge tow truck and very few municipalities out here run anything but Fords. What say y'all and let us know what part of the country you in if it's not in your profile.......

rubberfish

Reaction score
No Dodges here for nothing except construction
workers and ****. They're very rarely used for
muni trucks or tow trucks. Gm and Ford are
about evenly split for that particular market.
Go Dodge Go. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion on the big three is that Ford has the best chassis and body, Dodge is running the best engine (Cummins) and GM has the best trannie (Allison)

Put those three together and you'ld have a heck of a truck:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be just a Texas thing then huh????:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Nope

Just on the country road I live on EVERY 3/4 ton and up pickup is a Ford Superduty and most of the 1/2 tons are F-150. It's Ford country around here. There are at least 6 Superduty Fords on this 2 mile stretch that I know of and all are diesel, 2 are '08 models with the 6.4 and they love them.

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Nope

Just on the country road I live on EVERY 3/4 ton and up pickup is a Ford Superduty and most of the 1/2 tons are F-150. It's Ford country around here. There are at least 6 Superduty Fords on this 2 mile stretch that I know of and all are diesel, 2 are '08 models with the 6.4 and they love them.

No i'm talking bout Dodge owners. They must all come from Texass.............

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dodge seems to be trying to make inroads, but by and large you won't see a Dodge rollback or towtruck due to frame issues. Ford has always been known for having a good frame. GM seems to comprimise theirs by putting that big bend in it just behind the cab. They appeal to the country cadilac folks. I'm sure the **** will pick on Ford when they start copying stuff, like they have always done.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Oilfield country I would say a strong 90% of the rig trucks are SD's with the remainder being Dodges. GM has failed to make inroads into this market sector again.

That being said I dont think any of the big three are suited for heavy off road service (that was the question right?) in stock factory trim. Open differentials and weak suspension with poor gearing and mediocre body fitment will make any one of them a junkyard candidate in a few months of heavy off road use.

Reaction score
hey, would you tell me some of what you did to your truck and what your best MPH average. I have a 07 F-250 4x4 6spd looken to make a 350 and have a 4inch all the way just a muffler and get about 16 to17 MPH. Does not make too much cents. Seem like it should be getting about 21 to 22??

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, would you tell me some of what you did to your truck and what your best MPH average. I have a 07 F-250 4x4 6spd looken to make a 350 and have a 4inch all the way just a muffler and get about 16 to17 MPH. Does not make too much cents. Seem like it should be getting about 21 to 22??

I'm assuming you mean MPG

Me, best mod I mad was to trade my 15-16 mpg '06 Ford F350 for a 22-23 mpg '04.5 Dodge Ram 3500.

16-17 you ain't doing bad in an '07 six leaker 4x4. The 6.0 does not have a good reputation for great fuel economy and the new 6.4's reputation is even worse for fuel economy. You can thank the EPA for that.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Ford having major reliability issues with the 6.0 and the 6.4, Dodge/Sterling has been cleaning up on the 14k-19k gvw towtruck market. Power isn't the greatest compared to the previous motors, but they're staying out of the shop unlike fords. My alternate company ride has just lost yet another motor. At first it was supposedly down for yet another turbo, but now MVFT has the whole motor removed with no ETA for completion. That was three weeks ago. Commercial fleets look at these things closely...first cost for buy-in and cost to maintain. If a truck is constantly in a shop, it's not earning it's keep.

Reaction score
hmm... the way i drive it and the way it runs, it does not make cents. ware my MPG goes. I had a 7.3 that was awesome it's best was 23 to 25 and once 30 MPG 1 ton single. this motor seen to sound and run about the same..

Reaction score
Yes, I got ford for the truck and settle with the power stroke i just found out about some conversion to cummins I have not read too much about it yet. Or price it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac