Dodge D60?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I realize I haven't seen ANYTHING about someone trying a coil sprung D60 from a 94+ Dodge as an axle swap. Has anyone else looked into it?

I realize why most people shy away from the unit bearing, CAD D60 that Dodge used, but has anyone tried it?

Truthfully I'm wondering how close or far the coil perches are to the mounts on our trucks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy :eek:

I want to say the dodge frames were boxed by that year, so that may put the coil buckets out too far? Maybe someone with a doge can take some measurements for us :D

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't Dodge axles passenger side drop? Fords need driver drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy :eek:

I want to say the dodge frames were boxed by that year, so that may put the coil buckets out too far? Maybe someone with a doge can take some measurements for us :D

I was 100% sure SOMEONE was going to call Blasphemy lol!

I measured one a while ago but I can't remember. I want to say the frame was like 34" wide but I'm not certain. It was for another project lol!

Aren't Dodge axles passenger side drop? Fords need driver drop.

Dodge was passenger side drop until 93ish. The new body style in... 94? They went to drivers side drop.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing somebody doing an axle swap using 08 Superduty axles on a crew cab bullnose. Coils, 4 wheel disc brakes, still Ford parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer dodges are drivers side drop. I don’t know what year they switched to AAM or what ever the GM corporate axle company is but run far and fast from those unless you like changing ball joints and wheel bearings and axle joints and transfer case CV’s (they run constantly with the front axle and have a bad habit of locking up the transfer case and causing massive carnage). My brothers 07 has been complete garbage in the front axle department. Steering parts are garbage too. I tried to talk him into swapping ford axles instead of fixing the dodge. LOL

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://wildhorsemfg.com/index.html The owner of that website is doing exactly what you are talking about, kinda.
He took a dodge cad and is going to cut the knuckles off of it, so to get away from the always locked in problems. In obs axles d50 ttb and d60 share the same knuckle,u joint, wheel bearing, rotor etc. So he is taking a d50 knuckle and going to weld it onto the axle tube and then have a custom shaft made for it.
Actually 05+ axles are the way to go, it is almost as bolt in as a obs d60, the frame where the coil buckets mounts to is the same on all fords 83-97 where the frame horns differ on 83-91 so it makes it more difficult to leaf spring super duty axle swap. with 05+ axles you also get a smoother ride and bigger breaks than previous 99-04 axles.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
So I realize I haven't seen ANYTHING about someone trying a coil sprung D60 from a 94+ Dodge as an axle swap. Has anyone else looked into it?

I realize why most people shy away from the unit bearing, CAD D60 that Dodge used, but has anyone tried it?

Truthfully I'm wondering how close or far the coil perches are to the mounts on our trucks.

I've got the remnants of 3 of these trucks kicking around the yard. I can measure and/or post some pics later. IIRC, coil pads are similar spacing to Ford's twin i-beam setup. There's a big difference in coil spring diameters, and the short 4-link isn't worth adapting.

You could probably build Jeep style long-arms off the Dodge axle brackets.... and weld plates to coil pads for ford springs. But after all that you've still got a mediocre, low-pinion, CAD D60 that needs a lot of upgrades to be on par with a Ford 60. It may be more straightforward to stripall the junk off the housing and use F150/Bronco radius arms & wedges.

I have an '07 Ford 60 I'm using for my future coil spring build.

EDIT:
The Dodge CAD 60 can be brought up to 35-spline and proper locking-hub outers using nothing more than a careful concoction of '78-04 factory Ford 60 parts. ;)

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the remnants of 3 of these trucks kicking around the yard. I can measure and/or post some pics later. IIRC, coil pads are similar spacing to Ford's twin i-beam setup.

That would be great. If you do let me know what year Dodge it was. I'd probably be looking at a 94ish one.

I have an '07 Ford 60 I'm using for my future coil spring build.

I just don't want the newer lug pattern. Too many wheels already with the old pattern lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've read that a few times too. If I remember right it hardly mentions the 94+ Dodge axle as nobody really likes them because they're weaker.

I wouldn't be wheeling the truck or plowing with it, the 4x4 would be primarily for winter or slippery yards/muddy parking lots. I doubt I'd have issues with the strength of the axle itself.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense completely. On Pirate a 14b front axle is "weak" because it runs on the coast side and unit bearings are "unusable". Meanwhile Dodge engineers spent way more time and money designing/testing that axle and it, in all reality, is perfect for 99.999% of us. I mean if it ever DID become an issue you can convert unit bearings axles, lol but the kit is $2k. I'd rather just replace them every 60k miles.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, if I was going to make an IDI crew cab dually rock crawler, I'd probably want a Dana 70 or better lol!