Do this NOW

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not sure where your truck is in terms of timing, then rent Gary's tach n time right now and get in time.

What a difference 4 degrees made! I didn't have an issue with the way my truck ran, but I had thought to time it just so I knew where it was. The truck sounded fine pre tachntime, although I have a rather untrained ear for it. Everything is smoother now, there is way more power (butt dyno) and its just easier to drive. Really I can't recommend doing this any more, out of all the money I have thrown at this truck, besides tires this has made the most significant improvement.

Why are you still here, go do it.

Gary's tach-n-time rental program is now officially Great White aprooved

Attachments

• 20130609_191227-1.jpg
    20130609_191227-1.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 132

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I want exactly what you have there, that body style, engine, trans, lol. Nice truck - I've got to get in on this, I've had a new IP and injectors sitting on the shelf for way too long...

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. I just timed mine last a little over a week ago (and just got it back on the road this past weekend, because I'm a klutz), and even in the short time I've driven it, I can tell a major difference.

With the low miles I have on my truck, I naively assumed the timing couldn't be all that off, but figured a quick check was worth my while so I took Gary up on his rental program. Wow, was I wrong! Despite my factory timing marks being lined up and looking completely unmolested (meaning no one has likely EVER timed this thing since it left the factory), my truck was running way retarded at about 4° BTDC @ 2K RPM. For reference, spec for our trucks is 8.5° BTDC per my Chilton's. but I've been told the factory tolerance on this was a whopping ±2°. I set mine right around 8-8.5° BTDC to keep it on the conservative side, plus that was about as far as I could go without REALLY cranking on the IP, which I wasn't comfortable with (yes, I loosened some of the lines at the IP to get more play).

The difference in the truck is almost night and day. No, it's not a "Fast & Furious shot of NOS" kind of difference, but it's noticeable. My truck used to have OK low end grunt right once the turbo rolled on (non-wastegated Sidewinder), but would fall off on WOT runs a couple hundred RPMs before the governor. Yeah, that's not the case now. She runs HARD all the way to the governor and feels a lot peppier doing it. Power everywhere feels much stronger. The truck seems more.....eager? Only way I know how to put it. Combined with the the change in engine and exhaust noise (and, unfortunately, a little too much black smoke which means I need to dial the IP back a bit now), it's almost like a completely different beast. Haven't logged enough miles to determine effects on MPG and EGTs, but this tank isn't the best to track mileage off of anyway (having too much fun right now).

So, yeah. Like the OP said. If you don't know the last time your truck was timed, DO IT!! You might be amazed how far off it is and how much you'll get out of doing this quick and easy job.

Mike

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to install an EGT and tow with the truck for a baseline, then swap IP and injectors and time it - seems like it would be the safe course of action to take...

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is the exact same as yours with the exception of my Banks sidewinder. I love the combo. Where did you get the grab rails behind the doors?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really thank you guys for the support. I'm in this program to help others keep the best running engines they can but support the program with the small fees I ask for. If anyone can find any shop or dealership that will time by the pulse method please share it here. As much as I try I just can't keep up with demand but that will not stop me from trying. The meters are simple to use. Clean. Connect. And press one rocker switch. Then start up the engine and rev to 2000 rpm. Watch the digital rpm and timing display. Shut it down and make a change if you want to or pack up the meter and ship it back. How can it be simpler. The micro processer in the mother board does all the calcuations for you.