Do I NEED gauges??

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
Anyone wonder why Banks, ATS & Hypermax include the Pyro in their kits????
And Ford decided it was unneccesary?

Bottom line is making money!! they cannot charge you for replacing an engine if you know that above 1250 degrees the pistons start to melt and never get it that hot for extended periods..

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Dalvaras said:
Bottom line is making money!! they cannot charge you for replacing an engine if you know that above 1250 degrees the pistons start to melt and never get it that hot for extended periods..

BINGO!
Your post should read, "You cannot charge THEM for replacing an engine."

It's a liability issue. Ford decided not to get involved in it. They knew the PSD would be out, and with just a few thousand IDI turbos, they could just hide their heads in the sand.

Bottom line: You need a pyro, with a turbo. It's CHEAP insurance.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Toche' Mr. Gildo. I will freely admit, that I know very little about the PSD. However, I think I tricked you into admiting that a pyro and boost guage would be something any PSD owner would want to have. My point exactly. There are thousands of PSD's out there running without extra gauges, and Ford has built into them what they feel it needed to run itself without your help. If it overheats, I imagine the computer will know it before you do. Now when you get in there and chip it, well that just throws all of Ford's planning out the window. Of course there are lots of IDI's running around without gauges. That's not the point of the discussion. In fact I think that Andrew's question has been answered. If your not turing up your fuel, no you do not need (but wanting them is wise) extra gauges. However, I can tell you that the few gauges the truck comes with, are pretty useless and I would still advise a stock owner to at least invest in a quality oil presure and water temp guage.

When I finished my wife's truck two weeks ago, one of her new "surprises" was a pillar pod equipped with water temp and pyro. This is a basically stock NA with 4" exhaust. She thought the gauges were "very cool" at first. I told her the water temp would pretty much take care of itself, but the pyro must never, ever go above 1100. After her first day driving it to work, she came home not very happy with her new gauges. She said now she has two gauges she has to pay attention to. I've always told her what RPM range she should be in on the highway, but now she can only go %&* through the mountains because it goes to 1100 pretty easily! Notice that the two gauges she watches does not include the speedometer :rotflmao . The pyro in the end has worked out good for me because the engine that I maintain will hopefully last longer. Bad for the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department because, well never mind...

Tom

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I first learned to drive a big truck, the first lesson on the road was ' when climbing a hill, screw the rest of the gauges...watch the pyro ! '

Yes lots of trucks come without them.
I worked for one truck company , the boss bought about ten new trucks and ordered them with the bare bones gauge set. When we asked him why he didn't get gauges, he grumbled " damn drivers won't look at them anyway" And he was right, alot of people won't pay any attention to the things on somebody elses truck......and a whole bunch of new pickups are purchased for company fleet use. The added cost of a single gauge on 10 , 50, 100 or more units will make the difference in making a fleet sale( if the market for pickups were primarily private users, they wouldn't build them to last so long , and they would obsolete the parts after ten years like they do on cars)

When I had my own big truck, an old Kenworth, that puppy had 22 gauges on it. I knew exactly what was going on in each part of that engine..and i worked that thing hard....of course trying to train relief drivers with all those gauges was a chore :backoff

------Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online