DIY ceramic coating? Anybody tried this stuff?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a ceramic coating outfit here in Alaska, and there doesn't seem to be one. That means I'd have to ship exhaust headers and pipes outside to get them coated, and shipping anything that doesn't fit in a USPS flat rate box is crazy expensive.

I went looking for DIY products instead. The local hardware store has barbecue paint that claims to be good above 1000F, and I'm going with that for now.

I also found this stuff:
https://www.zycoat.com/zybar-color-coats/
Has anybody tried it? It's crazy expensive, but enough for two pairs of headers would cost less than shipping one pair back and forth. It would have to work a lot better than barbecue paint to be worth it.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AKCustom is in Anchorage. It's almost 400 miles, and I try to not make that trip. It would still be cheaper than UPS shipping for headers and pipes.

AK Powder Coating is off the Hot Springs Road, familiar territory just a few miles outside my usual Fairbanks run. I'll call them today.

Now I'm wondering just how good that barbecue paint is. Is ceramic coating going to be worth the extra money, versus barbecue paint and a fiberglass wrap?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of the high temp paints will be lucky to last up to 1000* before it will all come off, cerakote is leagues better than bbq paint

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There is such a thing as doing your own cerakote. People do their guns themselves. Can I say guns here? :fan: I can't at Moparts. One member said, "pleasure wands."
But, how many of those DIY'ers are putting enough freedom seeds through at one time to get it hot enough to tell?
Doesn't that white lightning coatings have a diy?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did 2 coats of techline's turbo x, then baked it at 400 for 3 hours.
4 years later, its a goner.

here to see results.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a factory turbo outlet I just pulled off a truck running a 150cc pump and no intercooler, not an ideal setup for egt control, but this is just a fun daily driver for a local customer. Owner says he sees 1200* on a daily basis, has about 15k miles on this coating. I ran it through my parts washer (takes regular paint off) just a slight discoloring in the high egt areas that is barely visible in person, otherwise in great shape still, very pleased with the cerakote products!
You must be registered for see images attach

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic is awesome, very well worth it.

Mine is chipping off of the exhaust down pipe, turbo hot side now. It was rusty before and they cleaned it, but it was very porous.

You can also wrap it but that'll rust it out fast.