Dipstick tube

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed the passenger side valve cover today to replace the valve cover gasket and the dipstick tube came out. It seemed like it was a bit loose already, but I'm not sure how it is mounted to the block. I can't see the hole that it came out of very well (I probably need to get a borescope). The picture below shows the end of the tube. From some threads I have read it sounds like an o-ring goes there, but if I stick the tube in the hole, there is nothing stopping it from going further down. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be held in place.

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an O ring fits between the two grooves on dipstick tube where it goes into the block.

It only goes in so far and will stop.

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There was an o ring on this tube but we have found they usually do not fit back in the block fitting once they come out. Best prectice is to clean off both pieces with brakclean and use rtv. Both pieces would refer to the tube and the block fitting if you have one. On my 7.3 I have a small cup fitting that the tube fits in. Not sure if you have that on your 6.9 or not. As for finding the correct depth this fits in on mine it can only fit a certain amount. On yours it may fit too deep. Not sure now what you have. May need to clean off some road dirt to get a god look at the block too. A pic of the block willl help us help you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the best picture i can muster @ 2 am
you can see by the block heater, theres a small part of the casting where another fitting goes.
but here is the location
this is a 7.3

Attachments

• 240sdaf.jpg
    240sdaf.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to figure out where the dipstick tube is supposed to go. The exhaust manifold was blocking my view but I can see underneath, above the starter where it goes, the trick is going to be getting it in there without getting it all greasy. Probably best to remove the starter, clean up the area and the use RTV sealant.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the best picture i can muster @ 2 am
you can see by the block heater, theres a small part of the casting where another fitting goes.
but here is the location
this is a 7.3

Oh look one of the rare Red stripe blocks....wow yer lucky....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imported from Jamaica!
stuffed with some weird cigarettes.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i spent 8 months on the island of Andros....
good times!