Different Oil Filter (read)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For decades I used Purolator but 'now' no one carries them!
Sooooo, I need you experts to tell me this is a good choice.
Honestly, the insides look like the $5.00
You must be registered for see images attach
STP Autozone filter.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Napa Gold or Motorcraft, same as Wix I believe.

I hear Donaldson has something that works, the price is very high, and I couldn’t tell for sure if they actually have something that works…

The larger oil filter for the 7.3 PSD is my preferred choice, I currently run that filter on both trucks

I have always used Napa fuel filters, I get an enormous discount and order the 3417 in half dozen batches, and order the 3811 two at a time. My 91 just has the 3417, and my 86 has a 3417 (OEM 7.3 IDI water separator, pre e pump) and a 3811 (OEM 6.9 fuel filter, post e pump). They are mounted with the e pump on the frame rail under the drivers seat on that truck, using the factory filter heads with some modifications to seal them up better.

Napa calls the 7.3 PSD oil filter 1734, which I always get backwards with the 7.3 IDI water separator, in their system as 3417. 1742 is the smaller IDI oil filter

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Donaldson P550371 is the powersmoke version. Check fleabay, there's at least one OK looking deal there for those.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always get out the grinder and make room to fit the big blue Donaldson DBL7405, although they are not as cheap as they were when I first switched I like the extra quart capacity it adds to the truck.
FWIW my local NAPA charges as much for the PSD filter as the big Donaldson and last I checked the NAPA PSD filter had poorer filtration.

GaryB

Reaction score
I stick to Wix or Baldwin myself. Good filters are good investments.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the MotorCraft FL1995 Power Stroke Filter.
Walmart has them on the shelf.
Use to be $9.97 now up to $26 ea as I remember.

When the Covid BS started, and the supply chain
shortages, I started buying them when I saw them
back on the shelves. Iam well stocked.

Goat

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
A grinder? It's 1/2 inch fatter and 4 inches longer, what has to be ground away?
I seem to recall they get pretty close to the exhaust collector pipe. Might be wrong, id have to take a gander at my setup when I get home. I wonder if the proximity of the pipe adds some extra unwanted heat to the oil supply... Down the rabbit hole I go...again.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
As best as I recall, the longer PSD filter got really close to the ttb pumpkin/yoke on the 90 F250 I tried. Plenty room with F350 4x4.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As best as I recall, the longer PSD filter got really close to the ttb pumpkin/yoke on the 90 F250 I tried. Plenty room with F350 4x4.
That has been my experience as well. When my 86 F250 was still TTB, the close proximity of the big filter to the pumpkin made me kinda nervous… but after Dana 60 swapping it, there are now no clearance issues

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I do still run the smaller PSD filter, on both trucks. Even though I could run the bigger one…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tj@GotExhaust

Members online