Diesel Fuel Additives

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone uses? I seen some threads about people using oil, that seems interesting.
How important is an additive?
I would like to keep up with the PO on his progress for my truck (91 7.3IDI 49xxxkms). What are your guys thoughts on these products I left a pic of? They were basically religion for the PO.
I’ve useD Seafoam in my Volkswagen TDI for years. She seems to love it.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• 362F91F3-8D26-4A37-AFF6-152630876457.jpeg
    362F91F3-8D26-4A37-AFF6-152630876457.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 18

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard good things about the Stanadyne but I’ve never used it personally. There’s a whole slew of stuff we all use so I imagine it will be whatever you can get easily and cheap.
For me that’s Renewable Lubricants Soy based diesel fuel conditioner. Currently free LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that the Stanadyne is about the best that you can get. I only use Howe's for an anti gel. To me, it requires too much per tank. I stick with Opti Lube summer blend. It may not be the best, but it's sure far from being the worst. I use it because it's the best value looking at the required ounces per tank.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used Optilube XPD, Stanadyne, and 2-stroke. I only recently started using 2-stroke at 1 ounce per gallon but I like that it's usually available and relatively cheap. Plus, I like having backup 2-stroke oil for my chainsaws and miscellaneous equipment.

As far as needing an additive goes I have read that modern ULSD has lubricity additives but who really knows. So why not add a little lubricity? Unless you burn through a ton of fuel each year the cost of an additive is fairly low.

Last edited:

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st what is your intent? Increasing Cetane? Anti-gel, Anti-fungal, or Anti-wear? Combination of all?

If you are looking to reduce wear, than "personal off the cuff experiance" really isn't a good indicator. It's best to refer to actual fuel system wear tests.

In the test below (you can search and find other similar tests), using Biodiesel turned out to be the best anti-wear additive. Opti-Lube XPD is the second best. 2 cycle motor oil is pretty far down the list at number 7, sadly Stanadyne Lubricity Formula was even worse at number 8. By number 15 in the list the additives caused INCREASED wear.

Note, if reduced wear is the main concern, Option-Lube has come out with "XL", which is the only thing it does, reduce wear. It's cheaper than XPD and has been shown to reduce wear more than XPD. It came out after the test below.

Dreadflux

Reaction score
1st what is your intent? Increasing Cetane? Anti-gel, Anti-fungal, or Anti-wear? Combination of all?

If you are looking to reduce wear, than "personal off the cuff experiance" really isn't a good indicator. It's best to refer to actual fuel system wear tests.

In the test below (you can search and find other similar tests), using Biodiesel turned out to be the best anti-wear additive. Opti-Lube XPD is the second best. 2 cycle motor oil is pretty far down the list at number 7, sadly Stanadyne Lubricity Formula was even worse at number 8. By number 15 in the list the additives caused INCREASED wear.

Note, if reduced wear is the main concern, Option-Lube has come out with "XL", which is the only thing it does, reduce wear. It's cheaper than XPD and has been shown to reduce wear more than XPD. It came out after the test below.

Thank you for the literature!!!

Derik McClintock

Reaction score
I've used Lubribor for years. Dad started using it when the truck was newish. 94 7.3 IDIT.
The only reason Jason @ R&D has my engine is because it sat for a couple 3 years due to family illness.. and we all know how these LOVE to sit unused. Plus I need some more ass to haul the crawler or 5th wheel.

Lubribor is the same company (JR something or other) we use in jet fuel (Biobor) that is still listed for use after the problems with flame outs from the other company.
I tested it and noticed a difference in the 4 tanks without it vs the next 2 with.. it lubes the upper cyls, and keeps it from growing goop as well as helps it from gelling. Central WA last year was down to -10. I keep it plugged in for the block but that doesn't translate to the tanks. Never had a gel issue.. ever.. and the filter had no growth last time I changed it before and after pulling the engine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I believe that the Stanadyne is about the best that you can get. I only use Howe's for an anti gel. To me, it requires too much per tank. I stick with Opti Lube summer blend. It may not be the best, but it's sure far from being the worst. I use it because it's the best value looking at the required ounces per tank.

I just ran across Opti-Lube an I'm tempted to try it in my RV. A little bit steep for this kit but it would last a long time and only costs about 2.5 cents added to each gallon of diesel. Heck it would last over 20k miles (2,560 gallons X 8.5mpg = 21,760 miles), It would take me years to use it all up.

I started putting about 5-6oz of Diesel Kleen in each tank every fill up which was probably twice as much as needed really. My mpg has been right at an average of 8.7mpg for the last couple months (towing the lil cargo trailer) according to fuely. It's been going up and down mountains/steep hills in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona too. It's got a cenate booster so I wonder if using that couple extra ounces of Diesel Kleen really gave it a fraction of an mpg better.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
only costs about 2.5 cents added to each gallon of diesel. Heck it would last over 20k miles (2,560 gallons X 8.5mpg = 21,760 miles),
That's why I use the Opti Lube. It's not too unusual for me to overdose at night, but I can't take it back out of the tank and it won't hurt anything so I don't worry about it.
My mpg has been right at an average of 8.7mpg for the last couple months (towing the lil cargo trailer) according to fuely. It's been going up and down mountains/steep hills in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona too. It's got a cenate booster so I wonder if using that couple extra ounces of Diesel Kleen really gave it a fraction of an mpg better.
I think that's pretty good mileage for your conditions. The Diesel Kleen may help.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful using any Bio diesel or anything renewable. We allowed to run only Bio at work, and it's a mess. Use it everyday, it's fine except in cold weather, you will be sitting. If you let anything sit around for a period of time with Bio in it, the fuel will turn into a brown sticky gum and coat everything in the fuel system. The diesel 911 cuts this out pretty good if you can get the engine running.

So in other words, if you get regular diesel out of the pump, I have never needed an additive. We must use additives at work where we burn bio diesel.

If you buy bio diesel, look at the pump handle area where the nozzle dribbles a little fuel. You will see a sticky molasses type junk all the down the side of the pump. That is what your fuel system looks like inside running that stuff.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My mpg was pretty decent in 2019 (pre-trailer), before the mechanical lift pump began weeping and wasting fuel. Then it dropped some due to that, and probably the winter fuel blend. But then it sat for most of 2020 right after I put on the Holley pump. Had the timing done almost a year ago near DFW too.
Be careful using any Bio diesel or anything renewable. We allowed to run only Bio at work, and it's a mess. Use it everyday, it's fine except in cold weather, you will be sitting. If you let anything sit around for a period of time with Bio in it, the fuel will turn into a brown sticky gum and coat everything in the fuel system. The diesel 911 cuts this out pretty good if you can get the engine running.

So in other words, if you get regular diesel out of the pump, I have never needed an additive. We must use additives at work where we burn bio diesel.

If you buy bio diesel, look at the pump handle area where the nozzle dribbles a little fuel. You will see a sticky molasses type junk all the down the side of the pump. That is what your fuel system looks like inside running that stuff.

I can't do much about that. Every station is different when going all over the country. I read somewhere, maybe on here, that bio blends help with lubrifaction in ULSD though. The RV sat for most of 2020 but didn't seem to have any problems when I hit the road again last November. No idea what kind of diesel it had in it. Additives have fuel system cleaning properties so that might help counteract any bio buildup.

420Bullnose

Reaction score
I use Diesel Kleen every fill up in both tanks.

420Bullnose
Couldn't figure out how to edit my comment,

But to add, Empty, I get 20-21 MPG Highway and 15-18 MPG Town. I don't bother calculating while Towing or Loaded. I don't know if the additive helps, but I like running it.

420Bullnose

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I can't keep up with fuel composition. The green stinky stuff just stopped and we're getting clear now. (I presume it's the winter grade fuel.) Pumps claim there may be up to 5% bio in there.

Power Service is what I run for additive. Mostly in the winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online