Easy Fuel Additive system

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is just a waste. And I have been 'wasting' for years. LOL

For instance, those white bottles of diesel kleen... Yeah, usually about half a bottle per tank, per fillup. Never less than a quarter bottle.

Far as I know, I haven't caused a problem yet. Also have never had a fuel gel problem, etc...

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll admit, I hadn’t thought about the suitability of those primer bulbs for diesel. A quick look on the web turns up a fair number of people using them with diesel. That being said, what additives are you using, are they primarily diesel, or some other chemical? Another idea with the same principle would be to simply mount a stock mechanical lift pump in the box. Orient it where the arm is in easy reach, and you can just give it a few pumps. Does any one know how much a lift pump moves with each stroke? Also, what size dose are you hoping to administer with each fill up? As a side benefit you would also always have a spare lift pump on hand.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Yeah I am extremely skeptical of any soft hose or seal on these engines since I pulled the "old" return soft lines off my old truck and the insides were eaten away and had deposited the residue in my fuel tank.

Basically, anything soft that doesnt specifically say it's material so I can reference it or state that it is rated for Biodiesel, I assume wont stand up to the fuel.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Looking thru the oil dispenser bottles and referencing power service's instructions, it looks like maximum cetane boost is achieved at 12oz additive to 20 gallons of fuel. Minimum being 6oz for anti-gel in extreme temperatures. This is a 9oz resevoir from mcmaster that should work. Aluminum top and bottom caps with a plastic housing. Question is, what kind of plastic. Hard plastics should hold up to the additive but we will have to see.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1167K11/

ISPKI

Reaction score
Almost done welding the cell, just welded in the filler neck last night, threaded pipe fittings are next. Whole thing is constructed out of 304L Stainless.

I am trying to sort out how to plumb the feed into my tank. I was originally going to "T" it into the vent hose but I took a look yesterday and that vent hose is pretty large, might be 1/2" ID at least. So now I want to look at plumbing into one of the tank fittings, maybe the return line? Or does that use one of those oddball proprietary fittings? I dont want to compromise that system since mine seems to be in excellent shape.

6T9burner

Reaction score
This isn't want you asked for, but the way I dose my 86 250 and 2005 Jetta... I pick up those 2 ounce bottles (brown for winter, white for summer). I buy a big jug of additive, then use a small funnel to fill up the bottles. I keep a few in each vehicle so that I can easily tip the small bottle into the tank without having to screw w/ the big jug. Hell you can have small plastic container full of tiny bottles that will take you across the country and back. I've looked into building a dispensing unit, but there are a lot of drawbacks and found it to be more of a pain in the ass than it is worth.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well shoot! Im almost done welding the cell together already so its a little late to go back now!

Just need to put on one more fitting and it'll be finished, then I get to sort out mounting it in the truck. Underbody tool boxes sure are a pain in the ass to find for cheap.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
Well shoot! Im almost done welding the cell together already so its a little late to go back now!

Just need to put on one more fitting and it'll be finished, then I get to sort out mounting it in the truck. Underbody tool boxes sure are a pain in the ass to find for cheap.
Any news on how this turned out?