Diesel Fuel Additives

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful using any Bio diesel or anything renewable. We allowed to run only Bio at work, and it's a mess. Use it everyday, it's fine except in cold weather, you will be sitting. If you let anything sit around for a period of time with Bio in it, the fuel will turn into a brown sticky gum and coat everything in the fuel system. The diesel 911 cuts this out pretty good if you can get the engine running.

So in other words, if you get regular diesel out of the pump, I have never needed an additive. We must use additives at work where we burn bio diesel.

If you buy bio diesel, look at the pump handle area where the nozzle dribbles a little fuel. You will see a sticky molasses type junk all the down the side of the pump. That is what your fuel system looks like inside running that stuff.
Sounds like your ditributor was getting the "cheap stuff". B100 isn't quality controlled/regulated enough to provide consistant quality from distributor to distributor. Our "local" retail vender's B100 is spendy but seems to not have the is issue. When I worked near them I ran B100 in my IDI for several years, ran great, smoother, and eliminated almost all exhaust smoke. Unfortunately they are 20 miles away from me and I no longer work near them. If you run B100, you do have to make sure all the fuel lines and seals in your truck are compatible as it will eat away at natural rubbers. B100 also acts like Drain-o on your fuel system, carry extra fuel filters for a while as it will clean out all the old slime/gunk diesel has left behind over the years. It can quickly clog up a filter.

That said, B100 does not have the shelf life diesel has, and you are correct about cold weather, it will gel up sooner. This can be mitigated by mixing with regular diesel or additives, B60 can usually handle most people's cold weather driving.

A lot if the pump diesel now has 5% bio in it, helps with lubricity, and where aplicable credits for manufacturers using renewable fuels.

My home state loves big oil (Texas... go figure) So they defined Bio-Diesel as an "additive, not a fuel" that has to be limited to 20% or less. So it's not legal to sell any blend above B20 in Texas. But strangely since B100 is not "blended diesel" it falls in a loop hole and can be sold, but is very hard to find. Only 1 retail vender in all of Houston Metropolitan area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online