Diesel Down! 911 in Beaumont Tx, help!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, well, I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. Against my better judgement we used rubber lines to supply the tranny from the radiator. Even though I built a makeshift heat shield from an old downpipe Shield, at least one of the lines blew back at the transmission. It's too hot for me to touch right now and I have to change to get under the truck and in the puddle... So, is anyone in Beaumont Tx? Furthermore do you have access to metal e4od lines? Or at least have the supplies to fabricate from the transmission past the downpipe? I've got to pick my wife up at the Jacksonville Florida airport at 11 pm Eastern Time... It's not looking good...
Edited to add that I would happily pay for any and all help and I also of course posted in the Diesel 911 fourm. If you can't help please at least send some good thoughts my way...

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of rubber line did you use? Was it oil or fuel rated?

Unless it touched the exhaust or something, a good rubber hose ought to work fine - I mean, there's always a section of rubber right at the radiator to the metal lines, right?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sort of rubber line did you use? Was it oil or fuel rated?

Unless it touched the exhaust or something, a good rubber hose ought to work fine - I mean, there's always a section of rubber right at the radiator to the metal lines, right?
Agreed. Unfortunately one of the lines was a clear rubber or vinyl line I believe it is called tigon? West seemed to think it would be okay my experience proves otherwise... I'm about to change crawl underneath and take a look wish me luck!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I'd be using transmission-grade hose from the autoparts store, or even fuel line if they don't have that. I'm pretty sure gasoline rated hose would hold up decently to ATF; diesel-rated would be even better - I know the stuff is much thicker(more layers).

Clear hose(of any flexible sort) doesn't seem to hold up to oils very long, and of course, depending on the plastic, it gets soft and stretchy when it gets warm.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in my defense I just like to say that the last auto transmission I worked on was it 2 speed Powerglide in a 1969 6 cylinder Nova when I was in Automotive Technical School back before many of you were born. And in Wes's defense I would add that he does not have much experience with automatic transmissions either. I should have trusted my gut feeling as someone with more than 40 years experience in wrenching. Wesley's knowledge and ability with the IDI is well beyond his years and his tuning was spot-on.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay enough casual discussion I had to get things taken care of there looks like there are a few auto parts stores open within Striking Distance. Perhaps I can find a Good Samaritan that will take me even if I have to grease his palm talk nice and pay him for fuel. What size are the hoses? Wes you listening? And how much Mercon V do you think I need?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, found it the tigon hose ruptured just an inch or so in front of the hose barb I was able to steal a hose clamp from my failed heater core that we bypassed and stretch the hose I think I can make it to O'Reilly's only 3 miles away. But I need some kind of juice to put in the slush box. Any thoughts on the $5 of court stuff that I posted pictures of? It doesn't look like there's anything else within walking distance. For me that is, with a cane. Sucks getting old just eight years ago I would have thought nothing of running with a backpack to pick up the juice...

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any fluid would work at this point. if you can find some universal stuff you should be fine.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW. If you didn't do it already, its a good idea to put a slight flare on the steel where you add the rubber line. If you don't the line can come loose under pressure in cold weather when the steel line shrinks. That omission has stopped many on a cold morning (myself included)

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank thank you gentlemen! Point taken on the flares except it's rubber from one end to the other. In regards to hown low, I don't know, low enough so it didn't register on the stick and was slipping badly enough that I shut it down and added a quart and a half to scoot from the side of the road to the gas station I'm at now. My plan is to go get a couple of Courts of the universal junk and dump it in I've stretched the hose and cranked it down on the hose clamp. Then I'm going to skedaddle to the O'Reilly's Auto Parts two and a half miles away. When I get there I'm going to wash up sit down eat some lunch think about it and then go through all of the tranny lines. I'm actually quite lucky that I discovered the leak as I was pulling off to get fuel

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
May help.
Should be one of the middle ones.
Which will be inverted flare.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just woke and saw this mess.
1) good thing you caught this before the trans got pumped dry.
2) the trans can hold 17 quarts for fluid. no telling how much you may have lost. but a couple of quarts won't do ****.
3) while you are at oriley's, the trans hose is either sold in 2 foot prepack or bulk length. also, you may be either 5/16" or 3/8". I'd shotgun it and get enough to eliminate all the failed hose out of the system. while you're at it, get enough hose clamps to kill a horse.
4) if this was mime and I need to field fix this matter, get enough steel line to connect to areas where you are close to the exhaust and rubber trans hose the rest. since you don't know which size, you'll need to get both sizes. nothing else is worse than not having enough parts and oil, so go overkill.
good luck.
I'm going back to sleep but you can call me if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online