Diesel Down! 911 in Beaumont Tx, help!

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, well, I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. Against my better judgement we used rubber lines to supply the tranny from the radiator. Even though I built a makeshift heat shield from an old downpipe Shield, at least one of the lines blew back at the transmission. It's too hot for me to touch right now and I have to change to get under the truck and in the puddle... So, is anyone in Beaumont Tx? Furthermore do you have access to metal e4od lines? Or at least have the supplies to fabricate from the transmission past the downpipe? I've got to pick my wife up at the Jacksonville Florida airport at 11 pm Eastern Time... It's not looking good...
Edited to add that I would happily pay for any and all help and I also of course posted in the Diesel 911 fourm. If you can't help please at least send some good thoughts my way...
I'd be there if you was 1500 miles closer! Sending good thoughts! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just woke and saw this mess.
1) good thing you caught this before the trans got pumped dry.
2) the trans can hold 17 quarts for fluid. no telling how much you may have lost. but a couple of quarts won't do ****.
3) while you are at oriley's, the trans hose is either sold in 2 foot prepack or bulk length. also, you may be either 5/16" or 3/8". I'd shotgun it and get enough to eliminate all the failed hose out of the system. while you're at it, get enough hose clamps to kill a horse.
4) if this was mime and I need to field fix this matter, get enough steel line to connect to areas where you are close to the exhaust and rubber trans hose the rest. since you don't know which size, you'll need to get both sizes. nothing else is worse than not having enough parts and oil, so go overkill.
good luck.
I'm going back to sleep but you can call me if need be.

AFTER ACTION REPORT #1

One of the challenges that I faced in the O'Reilly's parking lot debacle, other than the 98° Tx sun and the sloped, sandy and crowded lot was that since I flew to Colorado to pick the truck up, my tools kit was severely limited as were/are my financial resources. I really couldn't afford to buy tools to cut and flair tubing not to mention flair wrenches...

On my limp trip from my emergency stop location to the O'Reilly's, the compromised hose did indeed, continue to hemorrhage... I found a good out of traffic location, shut it down, opened the hood to let it drip and cool a bit while I went to ask for permission to work in the lot, find out when they were closing and assess the resources of the store.

After brewing a cup of super hero strength coffee(I'm never w/o my coffee gear, ask Wes!), I took a few moments to ponder my relatively desperate situation.

Desperate in that it was Sunday July first in the late afternoon and I was scheduled to pick my wife up at the airport in Jacksonville fl at 11pm. Jax is about 13 hours drive time best case from Beaumont, obviously I wasn't going to be able to meet her flight. We worked it out so that she'd use a car service to get to my buddies house... To compound the issue, after picking her up we were to get a bit of sleep at a friend's house in Jax so that we could hit the tag office in the AM, register it and skedaddle back to the Catskills in NY to meet some fairly heavy business commitments starting in the morning on the fourth of July and continuing through the weekend...

Anyway back to the wrenching part of the saga:

I stopped for coffee for three reasons. #1- I love (really good) coffee. #2- I needed the caffeine. And #3 most importantly, experience has taught me that when under duress and faced with having to make choices, if at all possible, it's best to calm down and think on it for a bit, considering all of the possible outcomes of your actions. Since I didn't have the proper tools for fitting metal lines, nor did I have pipe sealant paste and the barbed fittings were not leaking (let sleeping dogs lie), I thought it best to use hose and some sort of additional heat shielding. The O'Reilly's luckily, was first rate and was open until 8pm. I purchased 20ft. of gates oil cooler hose, some heavy, wide small diameter hose clamps specific for the application and some DEI 3/4" heat shield tubing along with what in the end, was yet another 7qts. of ATF. I carefully taped one end of the gates hose to prevent the loose end from scooping up contamination from the ground or engine bay while I was routing it. Then I replaced all of the lines one at a time, using the heat shielding where appropriate. I zip tide the hoses to secure them and keep them as far away from the exhaust manifold and down pipe as possible, using stainless zip ties where necessary. I am reasonable certain that it is completely functional although due to the nature of using straight hose barbs, the line closest to the front pretty much points dead center of the down pipe, so I'm not pleased by that. I made it to Jacksonville late on the 2nd instead of the 30th and didn't get to the Catskills until the evening of the 4th... In the end I wish that we were more cautious and had not damaged the hard lines. I have a built e4od waiting for me at another forum members house in NJ. Just as soon as I'm able to get Diego presentable for sale, I'll be making the trip to pick it up. You can be sure that it will get factory metal lines when I install it:cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online