Diego Revisited

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That perforated metal looks good on there. Right or wrong, at the shop I worked at, our opinion was that that screen probably isn't really needed with a turbo. Whatever makes it through the turbo will be ground up into very small pieces. Those will be small enough that they would go through the factory screen anyway. Is that opinion wrong? I have no idea, but there is some logic behind it.

My opinion is that screen is thick enough to stop any large chunks of turbo in the case of "uh oh". Maybe not, but it makes me feel better so I'll run it! Didn't cost me a nickel, just a few minutes of time cutting and grinding.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

The reason for the request... I wanted to see better where that blue plastic piece was.

(Referring to the blue plastic piece in the first pic.)

A while back, I found exactly the same piece of plastic, (Only mine was orangy-looking), laying on top of the back of my engine and I asked what it was. No one knew for sure.

Apparently it is a plug for the drain. LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

The reason for the request... I wanted to see better where that blue plastic piece was.

(Referring to the blue plastic piece in the first pic.)

A while back, I found exactly the same piece of plastic, (Only mine was orangy-looking), laying on top of the back of my engine and I asked what it was. No one knew for sure.

Apparently it is a plug for the drain. LOL

Well I put that plug in to keep any loose crud I could out of the turbo drain hole in the valley pan while I did the return caps. Couldn't tell you what it came from as I've been saving them for a while, it would have come on a new part like the ac dryer or a steering gear for example.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that screen is thick enough to stop any large chunks of turbo in the case of "uh oh". Maybe not, but it makes me feel better so I'll run it! Didn't cost me a nickel, just a few minutes of time cutting and grinding.
That’s what the intercooler is for..... -poke -poke

;)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what the intercooler is for..... -poke -poke

;)

Did you miss the part about not costing anything? LOL

The dually will get an intercooler first, and I still have to get the rest of the parts for the turbo first!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after a flawless trip to and from New Hampshire last week, the truck sat from Friday to Monday morning. Started right up but idled kinda weird, like air in the fuel. I had JUST replaced the return o-rings last Sunday, and no problems while in NH. I had decided not to cap the filter return line last week, but I did it today after work since the rubber hose there is wet with diesel. I had already bought the stuff to do it. This truck did NOT have a check valve like my other truck did, just a straight thru hose nipple.

You must be registered for see images attach

I decided to try the "quad seal" o-rings this time, since I tried the square ones last time (and the square ones were sold out on Amazon when I ordered these).

I'm not trying to "fix something that isn't broken" with fancy o-rings, but I know if you look at them funny they leak, so I figured I'd try these and see if they seal after being bumped. Worst case I'm not out much.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when I put the radiator in, I noticed the top clamp on the lower hose wasn't on right. It was crooked, like it slipped when it was installed. Well I fixed it, and had a tiny drip ever since.

Yesterday I had to run to bail out my father in law, ironically with his radiator swap. I dumped a good bit of coolant when I got there. Based on my assumptions I ordered a lower hose and put it on today.

I'm kinda thinking that was the problem!

And in these pictures you can see where the old clamp had been before I moved it because I was afraid the system would pressurize and blow the hose off.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think you were right to buy that hose ahead of time. It looks like it was kind of oil soaked and soft on the back side anyway, so it was about time to change it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you were right to buy that hose ahead of time. It looks like it was kind of oil soaked and soft on the back side anyway, so it was about time to change it.

Yeah I really should have replaced the upper hose as well, but it wasn't leaking so ....

Now I'm going to have to tackle ball joints next.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Oh boy. Ball joints. The upper hose is easier to replace anyway. Then it may be time to change the heater hoses too.