Diego Revisited

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you did. Although most people don't have a cannon named "Diego".:joker:
I remember seeing a guy hit one on purpose with his 1990 F150. He kept calling it his "302 deer".

Well yeah, but that was an accident. If I was TRYING to hit him, I'd have missed for sure!!!

Maybe next time I SHOULD try? :confused:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of a square body GMC Jimmy with brush guard that killed way more deer than any firearm I’ve ever seen. They just liked to jump in front of it as it accelerated toward. Damnedest thing.

LOL

[emoji15]

My 88F150 in highschool got 1 new fender (real ford because they were available back then) when it got painted. That was of course the one the deer decided to run into head first. After I had stopped. Waited for it to cross the road. It turned and started back into the woods. I let off the brake. Truck started to roll, deer whirled around and ran into it head first. I was not amused.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know of a square body GMC Jimmy with brush guard that killed way more deer than any firearm I’ve ever seen. They just liked to jump in front of it as it accelerated toward. Damnedest thing.

LOL

[emoji15]

My 88F150 in highschool got 1 new fender (real ford because they were available back then) when it got painted. That was of course the one the deer decided to run into head first. After I had stopped. Waited for it to cross the road. It turned and started back into the woods. I let off the brake. Truck started to roll, deer whirled around and ran into it head first. I was not amused.

You can't make that up, that's crazy! There's a clean looking squarebody K5 up the road I've been eyeballing. Always wanted one.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't make that up, that's crazy! There's a clean looking squarebody K5 up the road I've been eyeballing. Always wanted one.
There's the difference between us.

I've had several chevy trucks. Thought I really liked them.

Since owning two ford IDIs, I'll never own another chevy truck...

:D

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's the difference between us.

I've had several chevy trucks. Thought I really liked them.

Since owning two ford IDIs, I'll never own another chevy truck...

:D

I prefer the Fords for "truck" duties. Every Chevy I've driven rode way smoother though. It could be a million reasons, but for just running to and from work I wish I still had my Suburban. I'd try a Bronco if I could find a clean one reasonably priced though. I'm sure "part" of the issue is comparing a 3/4 ton full body SUV to a 3/4 ton pickup, and comparing a 1500 silverado to an F350. Kinda apples to oranges if I'm being honest.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early 90’s f150 compared to the k1500’s was no contest. The fords were much nicer to ride in IMHO. The chevys had lousy seats and stiffer suspension. Better “trucks” maybe but the fords were better drivers. Handled better. Cornered better. Just more comfortable.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the K1500s, but my Dad's 4wd K3500 SRW was quite smooth compared to my 2wd F250. The A-Arm setup made a big difference. My F150 was a Cadillac compared to just about anything though (car or truck).

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the K1500s, but my Dad's 4wd K3500 SRW was quite smooth compared to my 2wd F250. The A-Arm setup made a big difference. My F150 was a Cadillac compared to just about anything though (car or truck).
Exactly. The f150’s were very “car-like” to ride in. Just don’t try to load them real heavy without overloads. I broke a leaf spring with a truck load of green hickory.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the F150s were not made for heavy hauling but that didn't stop many from trying. Even with overloads, the 40 PSI tires would sway like crazy with any real amount of weight...mind you we were always running used rubber on ours, so that didn't help.

The F250 was a different animal empty or loaded. Apparently my truck requires 2500lbs just to level it. No overloads, no bags, just a stock 4+1 leaf stack. Empty? Not exactly smooth, but almost no body roll made it surprisingly tossable in the corners. Who knew?:angel:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the F150s were not made for heavy hauling but that didn't stop many from trying. Even with overloads, the 40 PSI tires would sway like crazy with any real amount of weight...mind you we were always running used rubber on ours, so that didn't help.

The F250 was a different animal empty or loaded. Apparently my truck requires 2500lbs just to level it. No overloads, no bags, just a stock 4+1 leaf stack. Empty? Not exactly smooth, but almost no body roll made it surprisingly tossable in the corners. Who knew?:angel:

10ply tires made a HUGE difference on my k1500. I won't run a half ton truck on anything less than D rated tires again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6 plies on my Red Truck are just fine for me. It already feels like a sports car after driving the Blue Truck around for a while. With the very weak springs under the back of the Red Truck, it wasn't really made for hauling much anyway.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had about 1500 on my 11 RC 2wd Long bed... wasn’t too bad... but that’s not max payload. I think the book says something like 1900 on this truck... the SuperCrew ShortyShort bed 4x4 is something like 1400 (I think on both).....I did have the RC almost maxed with a U-Haul car trailer (not dolly) and a 2001 Chevy Tracker.... it did pretty good... but it knew it was thereWasn’t uncomfortable, but it was working. I would have rather the Excursion, but that wasn’t in the cards that day....

But, we had ~500 gallons of water in a pickup bed tank in a 73 F-250 2wd...... I’ll lat you do the math...... that truck was also our wood hauler and our garden tractor hauler (IH 149). So it didn’t lave a pampered life......

We’ve has 150’s since (Except dads 97 LD (7 lug) F-250 and my Excursion..... the 150’s aren’t bad.... but we do now have trailers to do the heavy work....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6 plies on my Red Truck are just fine for me. It already feels like a sports car after driving the Blue Truck around for a while. With the very weak springs under the back of the Red Truck, it wasn't really made for hauling much anyway.

6 ply... I think that's C rating? That might be fine, I'd had two sets of 4ply tires on that truck, never realized how crappy it handled until I put a used set of D range tires on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online