Did I just have an injector stick?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got my moose pump and injectors last night. Got all the lines put on the pump. Tonight is install night after work.

Another confirmation that my old pump was bad too, the shaft on the pump from Mel has 0 play and the clicking as you rotate the shaft is so much quieter. Just gotta hope my installation of everything goes smooth and I don't forget to hook up something stupid like my throttle cable or wires to the ip, etc..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well if you forget to hook up the wires, then your truck won't start and you'll figure it out pretty soon. All kidding aside, it does take some time, but replacing an injector pump is really a fairly simple job. Just take your time and do everything right.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's done. Started up fairly easy and wasn't too bad to put together. I have no idea where it's timed and the hard line for cylinder 7 or 8 [back drivers side] seems to leak no matter what I do. Same one I had trouble with before. I have a spare set of hard lines so I might try that tomorrow.

I'm uploading a video of it running. My idle seems super low like 600 rpm and between that and it being too advanced I think it sounds too clattery at idle. Maybe it's just how this engine sounds I dunno. Guess it's not gonna sound exactly like my other truck and I'm sure the slightly leaking hard line isn't helping the idle be smooth.

Now I just gotta hope there's no more fuel getting in my oil. I don't even wanna look. But it felt pretty darn good humming down the highway when you'd lay into it.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a video of it idling. Probably sounds fine and I'm just paranoid. Especially considering the one hard line was leaking profusely during this video lol..

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If you're concerned about it being too advanced. Just push in on the plunger on the IP, driver side, bottom rear, with a pry bar. Gently gently. If it is to advance you will hear the pinging go away so to speak but the diesel rattle will stay.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After tightening down that injector most of the awkwardness from that previous video with the "tapping" part of the noise has all basically left entirely.

And apparently one of my hard lines from the ip is still leaking or I didn't notice the fuel in the valley from the back injector last night.

But the best news is I drove it 74 miles between last night and today so far and......

That is where my oil is. Hard to see but it's almost touching the line for full. If anything it's 1/16 of an inch or some tiny amount lower than it was before all of my driving or it's the same. But if I would have drove 75 miles with the old pump and injectors it would be where it says "do" on the dipstick roughly.

I'll upload the video of it idling happier when I get home.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's had about... 10 gallons or more of this come out of it during the adventures of this thread.. all of it with less than 75 miles both times I drained the junk out lol..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a better video after I tightened down the hard line to #8 better.

I also got home and noticed some fuel around #4. I couldn't tell where it was coming from return cap or from the injector itself. I took that injector out and cleaned the threads good and used a new copper washer. I think it wasn't quite torqued down as far as it should have been cause of the messy threads I didn't notice last night. Either way, I used a new return cap and two new o-rings and started it up after drying the area up and didn't notice any fuel around it now so whether it was the cap or not getting a good seal that area appears fixed as well I believe. Runs a bit smoother now, for sure a difference.

Now I just have a crappy exhaust with holes near where the gap from cab to bed is to deal with, and this stupid not working no matter what I do dome light.

Oh and I need a knob for the wipers cause the pliers are not "fiance approved" to not still call it a heap... haha

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve may have seen it mentioned on here before as I’m sure you’ve done a lot of research already. If the return lines are not straight then there is a chance it can slightly torque the caps around. Which could end up disturbing the return line cap seals over time.

Hasn’t happened to me before, but because I trust the advice given on this forum (after a year of having mine about the length you have them at now) I finally shortened them so that they’re dead nuts straight. And went ahead and threw in some new viton o-rings for good measure.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Youtube recommended I watch your video hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86