Debating on a new truck ?

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys just wanted to get some words of wisdom from everyone here. My current truck in my signature is so rusty that I have basically deemed it beyond repair for my expertise and the cost to fix everything. I will be looking to buy a new/different truck in the next year or so and wanted to get some opinions from those that tow campers and or trailers with their rigs. Finding a rust free IDI here in the rust belt is just about as hard as finding a rust free PSD. I have found a 1990 F350 with Zf5 4.10 gears, crew cab long bed that came from NC and has 200,000 miles on it with no turbo. I can probably get it for around 2,500 to 3,000.

Question, if I add a turbo will I be able to pull a 7,500 to 10,000 lb camper just about the same as a first generation PSD? I'm asking because for the cost of the 1990 IDI and to add the turbo and other Moose goodies I can damn near buy a fairly clean PSD with around 200,000 miles on it. Basically I want to get the most for my money, the truck wont be a daily drive and we would only be towing our camper 100 miles in one direction at most with very minimal grades. I also will be using the truck to haul wood and other weekend house hold projects.

I have never towed anything heavy with my IDI and just want to see what everyone thinks. I like the simplicity of the IDI and that I can do a lot of the work, I also know that the first Gen PSD are very note worthy and reliable also (if I purchased one it would remain stock except for exhaust and intake).

Please don't hate for the idea of going to the PSD...lol. Just want to get some opinions. I read this forum everyday and have learned a tremendous amount for everyone about my current truck. I just want to find a truck that will last me another 15 years and doesn't look like the beverly hillbillys when I pull into the camp ground.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My feeling are the idi is the better rig because its simple and cost efective to maintain compared to any electronically controlled engine. With a few patrs behind the rear seat and tools you can do many camp repairs enough to get you home compared to a psd. Cali has plenty of nice rust free duallys for cheap. 6.9 or 7.3. It really isn't that much differance in engines and hp. Mainly head bolts and thats an easy modification to studs. Nobody is going to hate you for changing either. This forum can't promise you moon pies either to keep you in an idi but we do try..:sly:angel:

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary!!! I knew you would have some input. I really am partial to the IDI as well, I wish I could make a trip out your way to pick up a nice rust free truck (no dually though).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online