Dear Napa,

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference in your story (the parts kid and sca) and what normally takes place, is that this kid asked (had willingness to learn) a question. What I see everyday, is people treating whatever job they have as only a job, do ONLY what is expected of them, and not trying to be any better at this job than they were day 1.

yep... MERICA! no work ethics

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked at Pep Boys, we had a guy that would answer the phone, put the customer on hold, then walk away.

He was employed there for two years before I arrived.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"we no longer honor the lifetime warranty on that starter".

I have had that happen to me. The parts guy was lying. Just BS he made up or believed, but I would not accept it. It ended up being a long ordeal, that I made him suffer through as I would not pay for the part and had no intention of leaving without it. I called another location, and got the number for the district manager, and called him up to let him know that I was being scammed and accused the parts guy of fraud. (I bet he would just pocket the money after I walked out). End result: I got my part for free.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many industries are now a race to the bottom. The margin are tight and volume is all that saves them. Greed and personal gain win over general goodness.

As for parts counter people, my main problem is just laziness and incompetence. Some people will just say they don't carry it, even if it is on their website and is a common part. Or I will tell them what I need, and they will tell me I am wrong. After I assure them I know what I need, they then want to argue with me and all they are going on is the computer screen in front of them.

Another problem is people. So many will not better themselves, and aspire to a job that require no effort, even if it only pays $10/hr.

I do understand bad customers, as I used to own a performance shop. Cheapskate customers would ***** about price after the work was done and they agreed to it prior. I kept my prices low and I would get two responses: "why so much" and "that is all?" I would also get customers that would tell what was wrong and want me to fix that part. It never was. I discovered that if you don't do it yourself, you don't know.

I had two employees when I closed up. One was a kid that graduated hs from a private school and had excellent grades. He wanted to work on cars for a living and after working part time with me, attended a tech school for auto mech. I told him to do something else, as he was smart. But also lazy. He could handle part time, but when he worked full time, it was too much. He now has been working a retail job for years and has no interest in college. What a waste.

The other guy worked full time and could do the work, but just didn't think well; mentally lazy. I told him also to go to college. He did. After five years, he is still not close to graduating, and works in a grocery store. He also has a project car, and all the parts and lots of free time. Still not done, and likely never will.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am always in wonderment when people talk about $10/hour as being a low paying job.

In the area I live in, in all surrounding counties, the absolute best one can ever expect to make is $10/hour, unless one is a schoolteacher, in which case you will make about three times that figure, which is why the wealthiest, most respected people in the community are school-teachers.

Anywhere around here, 90% of the people either live out of the mailbox or work for minimum wage.

Yes, we have a few doctors and lawyers who do really well, but they are less than 1/100% of the population.

projectdagger

Reaction score
i've been at my job for nearly 4 years. honestly i do consider myself being dumber than dumb. simply just like what was mentioned earlier. todays cars have way to many opinions. i'll give you an example, for an 09 dodge pick up, according to the computer there was 2 different listings for a brake light. that depended upon if it was a 2 or a 4 headlight system. the customer became mad, because i would not leave the counter, and ingore the other people in line to take his tail light apart, during the evening rush hour. we also get a lot of people thinking that we are their personal mechanic. i do agree about the lack of proper work ethic. most just want to stand around, while one person litterally busts thier ass to take care of the days freight, inventory, or even making a parts delievery. at the store, where i work. we do have one person that is ase certified, hell he's been at the job for 25 years. he sees my lack of proper knowledge, and does teach me when i do need help. i can tell you exactly what ruined the store. it was when we was put on commission.
the job is not easy. it's stressful.

i almost forgot.. about the part that is a lifetime warrenty. as long as you are the original purchase of the part, for the vehicle in question. the part failed due to a normal defect. it's covered. at least that's how i see it. sometimes, i just warranty it out anyway. because what's important is making the customer happy. which i do try to do. but sometimes i can't

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
project,
I sure would like to know what chain has their guys on commission. So not interested in shopping there.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
My biggest gripe around here with the mcparts places is lack of communication. When i order something Advance would never call me and i would have to guess when it came in. I have to say, the majority of counter workers here are above average when it comes to knowledge, and if they dont know someone else who does will jump in or they will ask them to assist and take the others customer.

But i do agree, a lot has to do with the customer also. I spent a lot of time at the local Autozone when i was working and seen all kind of ********* come in asking for a flux capaciter for thier 1988 whatever and describe it in the most vague manor expecting the person helping them to automatically know what it is. Or the impatient person who thinks they know everything, and are wrong. I worked in a grocery store for 5 years, so i know all about people. But OTOH, when some slack jaw is working the counter who knows nothing about nothing and wont go the extra step to assist really ****** me off. I know the parts houses here keep books behind the counter, because i seen them and used them. I actually go behind the counter at Autozone when my friend is working and just look the stuff up myself and get it, sometimes i have to use a book...thats how i know they're there! Also Advance now has a computer for customers to use to look up parts and then get someone to pull them.

My friend who works at Napa hardly uses the computer, he just goes right to the book and looks it up then puts it in the computer. Hell, they had most of what we needed for our Fairlane in stock. They even had a complete exhaust for my dads 95 F150 300I6 in stock ready to go. Im amazed at what they have, compared to most places.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am always in wonderment when people talk about $10/hour as being a low paying job.

In the area I live in, in all surrounding counties, the absolute best one can ever expect to make is $10/hour, unless one is a schoolteacher, in which case you will make about three times that figure, which is why the wealthiest, most respected people in the community are school-teachers.

Anywhere around here, 90% of the people either live out of the mailbox or work for minimum wage.

Yes, we have a few doctors and lawyers who do really well, but they are less than 1/100% of the population.

$10/hr is for unskilled labor. Skilled work pays more. Work that requires a degree pay much more. Teachers are the lowest paid profession that requires a college degree.

RedTruck

Reaction score
IMHO, the best parts counters are the ones attached to a implement dealer. I've seen good Carquest people and bad ones. Good Napa's and bad ones. Good Part's City's and bad ones. The good ones usually have farm equipment in the front lot. Farmers are going to get their parts and if they get bad service it will spread. Seems to me like many of the companies supplying parts have moved away from quality standards in order to compete in the market. This ties the hands of a good parts house and a good parts man/woman. Can anyone name one company that sells US made brake rotors and drums? I think Gates even has some of their stuff made outside the US.

I believe NAPA still rebuilds all their cores in Indiana, but please advise if not. I've been buying more and more from the dealers now. It's the only place you can find quality.

Thanks for the thread,

Paul

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

you must live in BFE

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My last two years working in a power plant were hell. We had lost so many workers it was unsafe to work there. An example is this. When we needed to lift anything to the turbine deck. There was at least two people working to load. One to pilot the bridge crane 100 ft above the load and one to connect and take off the slings once the load was on the deck either up or down... Well, I had to do this alone many times because nobody was available. I would forcklift the equiptment to the lift laydown area. Cilmb up into the crane. Drop the hook. Get out and decent the crane. Connect the load... Climb back up to the crane and make the lift... Not done yet... Now once on the turbine deck once again decent the crane. Unhook the load. Now connect the 1000 lbs cover to open the equiptment box cover. Climb back up and operate the crane. Move the cover to the deck. Decend the crane. Disconnect the cover. return to the crane. Lift the hook to the rest position. No finally decend the crane and start hand moving all the equiptment to the job site... Wow.. Thats way more work than anyone should be expected to do... But my additude was... Whatever it takes... I'm still that way today... Are some of these people behind the parts counter over or underpaid... Sure they are but what can I do about that but try to work with them... Just as long as they have at least a few brain cells fireing.... Othrwise I'll shop elsewhere...

projectdagger

Reaction score
Is that just in CA? I have a few friends at the local O'Reilly and i thought for sure he said he was paid hourly......

i do recieve an hourly wage, but it's weird to discribe it. the company reduced a small part of ones pay. for me, i lost .46 cents an hour. which was supposted to be repaid back to the employee at the second paycheck at of the month. that's if you sold a certain amount each month. if you managed to sell more, you'd get a bigger check. i wanted to be a good parts person. but honestly i think that would never happen. the store where i work, is getting too many teenage kids with the little hamster powered civics coming in and shooting off their mouths trying to act cool. my patiences with them gets a bit thin most of the time. i tend to get a bit moody, at times.
i would caught some flak from my counter leaning co-workers about not filling out a delievery ticket properly. most of the time, i'm little on the run, and i just mark the time it was billed quickly. and go make my delievery to a repair shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online