Dead truck... please help!

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit a pothole going down the road and the engine cut out. Truck had great power the whole drive leading up to this. Figured I was out of fuel, so I added 7 gallons and bled the schrader valve. Truck still won’t start.

No smoke of any kind from the tailpipe

no fuel from cracked injection lines, schraeder valve has proper flow.

Engine is hot, front tank 3/4 full.

Fuel shut off solenoid does not make noise when Key is “ON” and connector is taken off and put back on, both while hot and after having water poured on the pump.

could it be the shutofff solenoid or something? All my fuses are in tact.

Thanks, CL

Last edited:

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring all looks good, but, I busted out the multimeter and found that neither wire on the solenoid are getting any voltage, they both read 0V with the key in the “on” position

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just jumped the wire from the battery and the solenoid activates, is this common? Time to hit the wiring diagrams

My cold idle solenoid hasn't worked in a long time, sounds like those might be related?

Also, they don't seem connected but yesterday all my blinkers started going 2x as fast, and all bulbs are 100% functional. Figured I'd mention it.

Last edited:

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring around the driver side fender on the top side of the splash shield and look for green crusties, especially around the connectors. I used to see a lot corrosion in those connectors on the late 80s and early 90s trucks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Assuming that your problem is in one of these connections, including the main engine plug, here's what I did with mine. When I had the engine out for an overhaul a couple of years ago, as I was reassembling everything, I plugged and unplugged the main engine plug several times. This helps to scrape off any corrosion that may be on the prongs. Once won't be enough. After that, I put some dielectric grease on the prongs and then plugged it back in for the last time. This could work with just about any electrical connection.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a hotwire to the 2 spades on the IP she started right up

I had my glow plug harness burn up 2 weeks ago, and it looks like those together come from the starter relay? I think I'll just make a new wire

gandalf

Reaction score
Just to clarify what I think you said... Did you place a temporary jumper between the hot post on the battery and the front terminal on the IP? What was the result? If you're getting no power to that front terminal on the IP, and the jumper starts your engine, that certainly narrows the scope of the problem. Once that jumper is in place start the engine as normal. Just remember that you must remove that jumper wire to stop the engine.

EDIT: You posted while I was typing, and answered my question.

gandalf

Reaction score
With a hotwire to the 2 spades on the IP she started right up

I had my glow plug harness burn up 2 weeks ago, and it looks like those together come from the starter relay? I think I'll just make a new wire

Been there and done that with the glow plug power cables. I too had mine burn out. See the picture. It's a pretty ugly sight.

I eliminated those two yellow cables, and ran a new power cable for the glow plugs, running it from the starter solenoid hot side. I was lucky it did no other damage.
You must be registered for see images attach

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That literally happened to me 2 days ago. The Wire coming from the cab to the connector for the FSS was extremely frayed and the connector got super hot and melted as well.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the fuel intertia switch on these trucks? Sounds like that could be my issue, I hit a full size Michigan pothole at 55 before this happened.

i

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the fuel intertia switch on these trucks? Sounds like that could be my issue, I hit a full size Michigan pothole at 55 before this happened.

i
You don't have one, they were only used on EFI systems to disable the electric fuel pump in the event of an accident.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is creating a relay and fused circuit off of another key activated 12V system considered safe if I can't figure out the stock wiring?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

In fact, I was going to suggest it.

Just make sure it is a totally separate circuit, with a new connector to the FSS. (I could see some people building the circuit, then just tying into the wire for the FSS. LOL)