Daylight saveing time.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the Mods please.

Please change the Posting Time. We are no longer on DST, it's EST now.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
This country needs to eliminate the DST altogether. We're the only country that uses it and we haven't had a need since WW2 so what's the point?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This country needs to eliminate the DST altogether. We're the only country that uses it and we haven't had a need since WW2 so what's the point?
I know a number of people in Europe who would disagree with that statement.

Most of Europe also observes DST...but, they change their clocks on a different day than the U.S. does. The U.S. falls back a couple of weeks after Europe does, and springs ahead a couple of weeks before Europe does. Makes the trans-Atlantic schedule from SFO annoying because all the EU airlines come in an hour later or earlier, while the U.S. airlines still leave at the same time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nations in blue on that map observe DST; nations in orange have stopped observing DST, and nations in red never observed DST.

With that said, I agree that, in this day and age, it's a waste of time and should be abolished...but good luck convincing the politicians to change it; IIRC Bush's rationale for extending the "daylight time" component in 2005 was that it would save energy. :rolleyes:

As to the time on the board, that's not really the moderators' fault...it's supposed to be automatic; I guess it's a glitch in the software. If it's that annoying, you can go to your "User CP" , click on "Edit Options" on the left-hand side, and near the bottom is a section called "Date and Time" options, where you can change it so that the board will read the correct time for you.

Hope this helps :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep.... I dislike DST... I grew up in Illinois and had to deal with it all my life... when I went to college I moved to Indiana, and we were one of the holdout states that did not observe DST..... we stayed on Eastern Standard Time all year.

I worked for UPS for a time when I first lived over here, and our shifts would move twice a year.... for the *DT we worked 10:30PM-~2AM..... for the *ST we worked from 11:30PM to ~3AM... had to make up for the rest of the country...

The way we were was during the non daylight saving time we were on Eastern Time (the same as New York), during saving time we were the same a Central Time (Spring forward) So in the summer when I went to my parents house, I would leave Indianapolis at 5:00 PM and Arrive in Danville, Ill at 6:30PM, which is a 1.5 hour drive. In the winter, I would leave Indianapolis at 5:00PM and arrive in Danville, Ill at 5:30PM for the same 1.5 hour drive. The bad thing was in the winter it took 2.5 hours to drive back home.....

Now with the extended DST, for just about 3 months... what is the point..... I say leave it alone since it is that short of time now.....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I do my best work in the dark.....:sly

but on a serious note the reason for Daylight Savings is energy consumption. During the summer months when it stays daylight here until 10pm we don't have to use lights in the house when the people that work day shifts get home (which is the bulk of the workforce) so the energy usage across the board is lessoned. It has been a proven fact. I know I seen the show on the history channel about it.... cookoo;pLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online