Dash brake light on all the time

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys...I haven't been on this forum for awhile. I'm having trouble with my dash brake warning light staying on most of the time. My very old recollection is that it has something to do with the brake proportioning valve. What should I do to fix this? Thanks!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the Parking brake is partially on, or the switch is stuck on.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the tension on your parking brake. Outside of frame on driver side is where the cable to the brake lever is connected to the cables that run to the rear brakes...tightening is pretty straight forward.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stupid question.
is there fluid in the master cylinder?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubber bands.

Hold e-brake cable up in the air a little higher. The sensor only cares if the ebrake is the whole way up on the lever, not if the brake is actually engaged at all or not (if it's coming from the ebrake portion). I had to use a cable clamp after mine snapped, and I couldn't get it adjusted to where it would work but would also shut the light off when I disengaged it, so I put it to where it worked properly and I have three big rubber bands to hold the lever when I let it out to get the light to shut off.

See if you hold the e brake up by hand if the light goes off.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question.
is there fluid in the master cylinder?
NOT a stupid question, not by ANY means. Hydraulic failure is the primary, and most critical, function of the dash warning light. It's the FIRST thing to check whenever the light comes on unexpectedly, since it's the one that could kill someone if ignored.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Monte my brake light stayed on once. I found out my fluid level was low. Our master cylinder resivours have a fluid level sensor in them. Hope thats all you need on yours.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fluid is not low and your vacuum system is okay (I think the vacuum switch will turn on the light too) then it is probably the parking brake switch. Its a crude little thing. Adjusting the tension up on the cable may fix it. May not. The little spring thing on the contact up among the pedal assembly can get weak. I think if the wire falls off the terminal, it will turn the light on as well. :dunno