DANA 60 SWAP.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I thought so too, $45 to my door - worth every penny. I gutted the front hubs, washed them out, regreased the bearings and installed new rotors on them last night. I found something in my LS hub that puzzled me a little - looks like something broke but the hub works. I need to take it to my 4wd racing buddy and see what he thinks.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got out to where that 71 is, and had my camera with me at the same time... LOL
Took 2 pictures and the camera died.
Turns out the thing has a Dana 24 in it, not a NP205.
You must be registered for see images

Linkage is pretty similar though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Divorced Dana 24 and NP 205 are very similar in strength, though I give the nod to the 205. I had a 24 in my ole 72 ford and it was a great rig...my next 4x had a 205 which I liked as well..

The BW1346 has a lower overall low range, though the unit itself is no where near as strong as an iron case 205. Thus I have the 203 reduction box and will eventually get me a stacker to have 203/205 with triple sticks....OMG

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't broken a 1345 yet, both my trucks have 'em, and, well, I don't baby either, I probably will need a 205 in the gasser with the new engine though...
I do like my lower low range though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. My deal for the NP205 seems to have fallen through - the friggin guy who has it has been saying one thing and doing another.-cuss I have the 1356 for sale locally and I'm still on the hunt for a NP205 as well. I've been working on painting all the hangers, shackles and etc...Coming along nicely....Still hunting for some gears too....:mad: :rolleyes:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. My deal for the NP205 seems to have fallen through - the friggin guy who has it has been saying one thing and doing another.-cuss I have the 1356 for sale locally and I'm still on the hunt for a NP205 as well. I've been working on painting all the hangers, shackles and etc...Coming along nicely....Still hunting for some gears too....:mad: :rolleyes:

I told ya Bill on the hill has a divorced NP205 I can pull pack n ship if your wanting it;Sweet just let me know and I'll get u a price for the TC.

Sounds that in spite of the setbacks your still moving forward with the whole thing which is good....you can always run it as 2x with the Dana60 until that TC comes.

Well you let me know...I'll be leaving for Diesel days on Friday...thus this week is out for a pull n pack but when I return not a problem...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Get me a price and the shipping - I'm sure it will be hefty from there. I got this email from a guy today:

I see you have a posting looking for a divorced NP205. I know Cape Breton is a bit far but I still have the 77 F250. It's complete with all the shafts, divorced NP205, Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 front, rear suspension lift blocks, etc. Gear ratio is unknown. Anyway, if interested, drop me a line. As discussed earlier I'd like to get $350 for the truck but we can barter for stuff as well (mainly interested in small block chevy stuff and G-body parts). The truck can leave my yard complete or just take whatever pieces you want and I can get rid of the rest of the truck. There's also a 400cid and c6 auto in it.

He's about 5hrs away from me - one way, I'm thinking about getting it to part out. I can tow with my 91 now and the trailer is always free to use. I asked him for some pics to see how ripe it is....LOL..I'd be looking at about $120 in fuel as it's about 270 miles each way. I'm kinda concerned about tongue weight and it would just fit on my buddy's trailer.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Is this is NP205 or Dana 20? This is the 77 F250 that I could buy for $350. The rims are non split 16.5's. Dana 60 rear, 44 front. No box on the truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That my friend is a NP 203 full time transfer case....

In the top picture that large round section the driveshaft is bolted to contains a differential. This TC is a chain driven one as well BTW. There is only a few options with that case... 4 hi 4 low 4 hi loc 4 low loc the loc part as it implies locks the differential out and thus it becomes basically like a 205. You cannot ever have 2wh dr with that case.

In the second pic, you'll notice that PTO cover, that is the gear box is what contains the reduction part, it can be unbolted from the actual TC and used seperately in conjunction with a NP205 to double your effective gearing as I have previously mentioned in this thread. Look here http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm and here for more info
http://www.offroaddesign.com/Transfer Case ID Guide.htm

I hope this helps you somewhat...feel free to email or PM me as the 79 and older ferds are a truck I know well...IMHO it is not a case one would want, they are not all that desirable. There used to be a kit to convert them from Full time to Part time so one could use manual hubs instead of the drive flanges that are usual with these cases.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, not what I wanted to hear but it saves me 10hrs on the road...LOL...I'm still trying to get my hands on the one I had the original deal for. If I can get a hold of the guy I'm going to try and go get it this weekend instead of waiting for the middle man to bring it to me. I dropped my springs off at the local spring shop today- spoke to my connection there. He's arching 2" of lift into them and adding a 3rd leaf using the extra spring pack that I supplied. They are also going to make my u-bolts and press in my new spring bushings.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM sent...let me know what yer gonna do, I will be away this weekend down at Abbotsford at BD's Dyno Days. Finally getting to meet someone from here, of all the people Rubberfish...rofl, regardless I'll be checkin in when I get back.

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a divorce mounted 205. I do not have the driveshafts or all of the shift linkages. It is in good shape and seems to work fine. Let me know if you are interested.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm always interested, PM me and we can talk price and maybe figure out a shipping cost to see if it is feasable for my wallet..LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Got my front springs back today, $191 for re-arching and adding 2" of arch over the stock F350 springs, added a 3rd leaf to each pack, installed 4 new bushings, new center bolts and they made me 8 u-bolts to my specs....Not too bad - had to talk to my connection down there for an adjustment to the bill - over charged me by $40 because he didn't make the bill - the service writer did....:dunno cookoo ....If it rides too rough with the 3rd leaf I'll take it out.;Sweet ....Now if I could just get my hands on a t-case and some 3.54 gears I'd be cookin' with gas....:rotflmao ....Got a line on both - I hope to get one or both of them this coming weekend.

And I just realized he made my rear u-bolts from 1/2" stock instead of the 9/16" stock I told him to.....Back to the spring shop I go.:backoff

Last edited: