DANA 60 SWAP.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
DANA 60 SWAP. NEW PIC'S Oct 26/07

As some of you know I'm going to be doing a Dana 60 swap to my 2wd 91 F-250. I've been thinking about all the work involved in the swap, I have a couple of questions some of you might be able to answer.:dunno

Front leaf springs - my 89 F350 donor has 2 leafs and a 351W for power. Will those leafs support my 7.3L or did the diesel F350's have more leafs?

Pitman arm - if I take the pitman arm from the donor will it fit my 91's steering box? I'm taking ALL the steering gear from the donor.

Anyone here got any pics of a complete NP205 divorced t-case in a truck with the shift linkage installed? I have the oportunity to buy a complete 77 F-250 highboy 4x4 for $350. Dana axles from and rear I believe. I'd take what I wanted and sell the rest in parts.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there, just and FYI and I believe I am not wrong here that 77 should have a married transfer case. Look closely before you purchase if you are looking for a divorced mount unit.

Now here is the sweetness about that married case, if it is a married case it has the same input spline and adapter mount that any of the new cases Ford uses currently in there trucks. There may be a notch in the adapter on the truck it's on because of the shifting linkage so check and see for certain it just means you'll have to notch the adapter your using.

As for the leaves, those should work though I feel that a set of diesel springs would be better.

As for the steering, I am not certain and Ill see if I can find out more info.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just poking around the net looking at the NP205's, didn't realize some where mounted to the tranny. I want a divorced case so I'm not limited to 4x4 tranny's, I want to be able to swap in anything I want when/if my E40D takes a dump. I'm still contemplating an F150 traction beam swap as well and leaving the stock coils in place with dana 50 hubs...I don't go offroading, I just want the 4x4 gear for the winter. It would be an easier swap IMAO but the Dana 60 would be nice too.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, in the late seventies, 1/2 tons had married transfer-cases and 3/4-ton hi-boys had divorced.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just poking around the net looking at the NP205's, didn't realize some where mounted to the tranny. I want a divorced case so I'm not limited to 4x4 tranny's, I want to be able to swap in anything I want when/if my E40D takes a dump. I'm still contemplating an F150 traction beam swap as well and leaving the stock coils in place with dana 50 hubs...I don't go offroading, I just want the 4x4 gear for the winter. It would be an easier swap IMAO but the Dana 60 would be nice too.

There is an old guy locally here that has a well you know a boat load of old iron. I'll look around for a divorce mount if you like. **** if your going divorce mount, take it a step further, if you can find a divorced NP 203 grab that transfer box and use a married NP 205 and a doubler then you can have;

1:1 for high
1.96:1 for low
3.92;1 FOR ultra Low range:thumbsup:

This is just a thought as it would be real easy to set that up.

suv7734

Reaction score
The transfer cases changed in late March of 1977. The earlier model had the divorced case and the later model the had the case mounted to the trans. The later models also (if memory serves me correctly) had the reverse rotation pinions (high mount) so you may want to watch for that.
Depending on the original truck (year etc) the number of leafs will vary. The diesels had 2 leafs and the big blocks had three. the difference being the diesels were tapered leafs and had a negative arch meaning they bent 'over' the axle.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 F-250, it has the regular old married transfer case. BTW, that parts truck would have a 44 front and 60 rear. I'd kill for a complete truck for $350, mine has a bad motor and trans :-( Unfortunately lots of those old trucks with the 351M / 400's have been crushed.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yeah, it's about 6hrs from me but it's supposed to be complete. If I didn't have my Ranger project on the go I'd buy it for a woods buggy.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, another question about ball joints. According to what I've read on the net the 1991 2wd F250 and 89 F350 4wd use the same lower balljoint?....Now the sticky part is the upper balljoint on the 89 dana 60. I called to price one today and buddy starts blabbering on about a bearing kit yet when I look it up on the Net I found a MOOG # for an upper balljoint for the 89??? What gives?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I found a Divorced NP 205 at Bill's on the Hill just like I suspected he would have. Man he has a little bit "o" everything.

If your interested in that transfer case, let me know we can calculate shipping OUCH based on weight from postal V0H1V0 if you like.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats cool, I think I found me a ball joint style knuckles without unit bearings and has 3.55 or 3:73 gears for around 500 not local but a province away....

Darn thing would be a basic bolt in under my front end if I utilize the springs and mounts from the 84 F250 woot!!!!

Dana 70 R 60 F woot OMG what will I do once it comes together.....I know build a buggy from the other bronco and the ole 5.0 woot.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My truck has a 10.25" 3.55 posi, I have two more 10.25" open diff's (3.55) and a Dana 70 dually diff from a cube van - gearing unknown. The 60 I'm getting is "supposed" to be a 3.55 also but I'll pull the cover when I get it out. The donor truck is sitting safely at my buddy's junkyard just waiting for me to **** it....:rotflmao