Dana 60 swap- what is needed, what to look for?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
On the issue of TTB tire shredding, I've had the same Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my truck since I bought it, haven't rotated them once. In almost three years and 35,000 miles I haven't seen much at all in the way of tire shredding that so many others with the D50 axle have.

Last year I went through and replaced all the wear components, with the exception of pivot bushings (and I need those done too) There is exactly ONE component more on a D50 than a D60, and that is the inner passenger side U-joint. D50 has pivot bushings, D60 has track bar bushings. Everything else is essentially the same.

I am not in any way saying that having a D60 axle wouldn't be great. In my case I searched all over for one when my D50 needed repairs- each and every one I found needed most if not all of the same repairs done that my axle needed (ball joints, U-joints, tie rods, etc) Most had been cannibalized in preparation for Jeep installation, with spring perches torched off and such.

I am of the belief that if you rebuild your D50, with good parts, and take it in to a good alignment shop, you can get good long life out of your tires.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am of the belief that if you rebuild your D50, with good parts, and take it in to a good alignment shop, you can get good long life out of your tires.

Completely agreed. I still like my Dana 60's but don't think they are a must have.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you can ignor the highsteer arm and run stock steering. or you can remove the highsteer arm and sell it to me......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online