Cruise not worked since rear end change?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys,
The cruise hasnt worked in my dads old truck (90 F250) since we changed the rear in it. What would cause this? Any ideas will help.
Thanks!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I really need to get this working this weekend because on thursday I have to drive this truck 600+ miles.
The horn works, so the switches have power. There's a small plug pluging into the master cyl that had some corosion on it cleaned that off. I dont know what else to do with it. It seems to me like this series of speed controller is the crappiest of all ford used.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '91 and older IDIs used a speed sensor on the tranny tail for everything but Rear anti lock brakes, that sensor was on the rear end. The cruise cancel on these was a vacuum break switch on the brake pedal. The speedo is mechanical but there is also a speed sensor as stated, this runs the cruise and tranny computer(if it is an auto). If it is a standard then it only runs the cruise. Did you check for codes?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I cleaned all the connections, checked the cable to make sure it still worked, and checked the fuse. Still nothing. Cant seem to get a parts store that carries the servo either.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What's the plug coming out of the master then? You're not talking about the break light switch attached to the pedal are you? I dont know of any vacuum switches on the pedal.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Got it working!!! For one trip anyway.
It was the vacuum brake switch that I didnt know anything about. lol
Thanks guys!!
But now coming back from town it wouldnt work again.
Is it possible for these switches to go bad?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well now it doesnt work again.
Well it works intermitantly. Like I pulled the pressure switch off the pedal and manually would press it in and it would work one time and the next it wouldnt. Then when I got it working I tried testing it stopping so I let it out and it slowed down. But I pressed it in again and it took right off, no touching buttons or nothing.
Then after I finally got it to shut off somehow, it wouldnt start again. ***?