Cruise control decided to bite the dust...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I drove down to southern California on Sunday, and while I was on the I-5, the cruise control suddenly decided to stop working. Prior to this, I had been needing to put slight pressure on the pedal, or the truck would slowly lose speed...don't know if it's related to this failure or not.

When it failed, I had my foot on the pedal, so I felt the pedal kick back...maybe a little bit harder than it would have if I had shut it down normally. Since then, no peep.

Which fuse works the CC on these trucks? The fuse panel cover doesn't say, and my owners manuals are at home. I'm hoping it's something that simple, but I have a bad feeling that it won't be...

Thanks!

BTW, with anally keeping the truck to 55mph and going straight and level down the I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley, I was able to get 20mpg out of my truck ;Sweet

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
The fuse should be the same one as the horn...if it honks your fine. You might check the vacuum dump valve off the brake lever (under dash). Mine worked it's way loose and then no more cruise.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
just was messing with my uncles 89 and found the canister was rotted out.
looked at my 92 and found it doesnt have a canister :confused: but my cruise works.
we started to bypas the canister but i had to leave,so not sure if it works or not

gandalf

Reaction score
The horn and the cruise are indeed connected. Another "better idea" from Ford. :rotflmao

When the cruise quit on my '86 the horn also died. The root cause was a relay which controls them both. It's tucked up under the dash, about mid-way across. I can't give you a better description, but that will put you close.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
towcat-
shows you what i know
I found mime quite by "accident" too when I was taking the nose off my truck a few months ago. you might want to take a look at yours too, mime was almost completely eaten through by battery acid.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
just a update the cruise does work without the canister ;Sweet
we just bypassed it with a piece of copper tube

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warden, I have a complete cruise system off the 84' if you need anything.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, thanks! I will likely be taking you up on that offer.

I checked the fuse; it's fine...I was later able to test the horn, and it works. So, I think the system's happy electrically...although I think I still have Zigg's diagnostics somewhere that I can go through after I get home. I haven't been able to do anything further...but I'm heading home tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to look further into it over the next few days. I don't know exactly how this system works yet, but my guess would be a bad actuator or a bad cable, with how it was acting before it failed altogether.

I'll let you all know what I find as soon as I get a chance...but, other than the CC (my right foot's getting real tired!) and that $#@% exhaust leak, the truck's doing beautifully! ;Really