Cross Country is Over

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Edwards Airforce Base finally. Towcat I'd love to take that eng off your hands. And I'll be more than happy to fill up your tank and your belly Dave. I'm just glad to be here. And I've been to the sand box three time the last time was from Feb 05 to Oct 05. I was in Al Asad this time. Thanks for all the help everyone. My number is 910-358-3633 so we can arrange the logistics of moving that eng. Thanks again to everyone.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll get the ball rolling on this end. Gonna have to wait out the rain for a couple of days and then start moving stuff around. Going to need to do it either way tho. I have my next 6.5td conversion in the pipe and I need the Gen 2 Banks turbo for the project. Maybe, when I get back next summer from TX, we'll do a BBQ at the shop and you get to be the guy who buys the hamburgers and hotdogs. Dave will get to cook this time...unless if everyone wants hockeypuck burgers again. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
BTW....if you get a chance to, lookup "Mojave Red"/Brian Hagen. He currently lives in Barstow and is stationed at ft.Irwin. Met him and his wife last trip out to TX. Nice folks! ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on making it out to the Left Coast! ;)

Just wondering, are you living on-base, or in one of the nearby towns?

towcat, if Dave doesn't want to cook and if my life isn't a complete mess next summer, I'll do the cooking...I've been told I can BBQ a pretty good burger :) Sure you don't want to try anything in January before taking off? ;)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I'll do the cooking...I've been told I can BBQ a pretty good burger :) Sure you don't want to try anything in January before taking off? ;)
tim-
If you can get some brave souls to show up, I will be happy to host. I have noticed kalifornia people don't like to do BBQ's in the cold. Raider tailgate parties are the exception to the rule. ;Sweet Put out the word, I'll clear the space :D It will be a good way to get rid of more surplus parts too ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
If you can get some brave souls to show up, I will be happy to host. I have noticed kalifornia people don't like to do BBQ's in the cold. Raider tailgate parties are the exception to the rule. ;Sweet Put out the word, I'll clear the space :D It will be a good way to get rid of more surplus parts too ;Sweet
I'll see what I can do...have to wait until finals hell is over, though (one more week!!!) so I can actually start living somewhere other than the school library... :rolleyes: At least I get to be at home long enough to get some sleep, eh?

And you know me; if there are spare parts that need to disappear, I can make them "disappear" :D

I don't get the "no BBQ in the cold" either...but I love cold weather; my favorite season in the Bay Area is winter. :) As long as it isn't pouring, I'm game...c'mon, anyone else? Mike? Deese? Brian? Scotty? ;) Can do a mini IDI West meet while the East Coast guys are dealing with that white stuff...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I don't get the "no BBQ in the cold" either...but I love cold weather; my favorite season in the Bay Area is winter. :) As long as it isn't pouring, I'm game...c'mon, anyone else? Mike? Deese? Brian? Scotty? ;) Can do a mini IDI West meet while the East Coast guys are dealing with that white stuff...
tim-
I honestly can't see the socal guys making it up to this neck of the woods. heck, "Alameda"/Chris and "Dualie"/Don are the two holding the long distance reward of late. "94john" is prolly the record holder (lake tahoe) at the moment. If nothing else, put a meet together, the usual suspects will show up. Brian S, Dave85, towtruck Moe, tanker Tom, Monte, you and I will be there. I'd like to see the new guy "Tiny" show up with his new crossbreed('96 GMC w/Cummins) just for the sheer entertainment factor ;Sweet He's got his work cut out for him tho. Even some of your buds who lurk around here are welcome too. Finish your finals and GO STAND IN FRONT OF THE BUS!!!! it only hurts at the point of impact :eek: :D :rotflmao :rotflmao

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was the squadron cook for the last 4 years at all the BBQ's. I can grill a great rack of ribs and burgers and chicken. I even have a grill that I can cook half a hog on. So I'll be more than happy to show up and cook. I'd like to meet all of ya'll face to face anyway. Towcat how far are you from Lancaster? If it would help I can drive down there on a weekend and help you move that stuff around. And base housing here is frozen so I am looking out in town which is seriously a pain in the but with the prices of everything here.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
deese-
I'm 4 hours driving north of you....... :eek:
everybody gets confused between santa clarita and santa clara cookoo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 4 hours the way towcat drives...if you drive like a sane human being :D ;Poke it's closer to 6. I didn't really think that any of the SoCal guys would be able to come up due to distance and timing, but had to ask. ;) That said, Deese, if you wanted to try and set something up down there, there are people in the general area, notably Brian (Mojave Red) and Scotty (beretz). Depending on when you did it, I could make it down there as well...my entire family lives in southern California (most of them in the L.A. area, but my dad lives right off the 14 freeway halfway between Lancaster and Mojave), so I'm down there quite a bit when I'm not toiling away at school...

towcat said:
If nothing else, put a meet together, the usual suspects will show up. Brian S, Dave85, towtruck Moe, tanker Tom, Monte, you and I will be there. I'd like to see the new guy "Tiny" show up with his new crossbreed('96 GMC w/Cummins) just for the sheer entertainment factor ;Sweet He's got his work cut out for him tho. Even some of your buds who lurk around here are welcome too. Finish your finals and GO STAND IN FRONT OF THE BUS!!!! it only hurts at the point of impact :eek: :D :rotflmao :rotflmao
I'll see what I can do...do you have any idea yet about when in January you're taking off? Between school and family obligations, I don't think I could do much before the holidays, although if it comes down to it, I might be able to give it a try. I didn't realize Tiny's crossbreed was finished...for some reason, I thought it was a work in progress. I may not be a Chebby fan, but this I gotta see :D The fronts of the busses driving down San Fernando St sure do look mighty tempting at times...I have to keep reminding myself that all of this will be worth it in the end, though (no, really)...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I'll see what I can do...do you have any idea yet about when in January you're taking off? Between school and family obligations, I don't think I could do much before the holidays, although if it comes down to it, I might be able to give it a try. I didn't realize Tiny's crossbreed was finished...for some reason, I thought it was a work in progress. I may not be a Chebby fan, but this I gotta see :D The fronts of the busses driving down San Fernando St sure do look mighty tempting at times...I have to keep reminding myself that all of this will be worth it in the end, though (no, really)...
tim-
he's got the cummins going in on the 17th. So, by mid jan he should be working out the bugs. i prolly won't be heading over there until the end of the month, so that will leave three weeks open. One thing I have learned, plenty of lead time notification is always a good thing ;Sweet
btw....at least the buss lines have been moved over to san fernando st. back in the day when I was doing time there, the busses were running down san carlos st......just picture this....I have had one too many pitchers at the student union pub...in order to get back to Markham hall, the only challenge is not getting run over as I am crossing san carlos.... :eek:

dave85

Reaction score
I'm here and confused.....

Are we having a cook out and loading the motor on his truck? Warden's? On mine?

I think Deese is in for an awakening. He probaly marinates his meat 10 days, imports Argentenian mesquite, and has a "pit" worth more than my truck.

Man, those hockey pucks tasted good, didn't they?

Dave

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually my grill is an old water tank that was converted and for ribs I boil them in a few seasonings for about 45 minutes then rub them down with more seasoning and grill them over charcaol for about 30 to 45 min dry then I add BBQ sauce and grill for another hour to 2 just to make sure they fall off the bone. I pretty much do chicken the same way. I also make my beans on the grill too. As for the engine. Which ever is easier for all of us to make happen. I'm game for it all. And I drive pretty slow so it'll take me 6 hours to get there. My back bumper says big -n- slow go around.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave85 said:
Are we having a cook out and loading the motor on his truck? Warden's? On mine?

I think Deese is in for an awakening. He probaly marinates his meat 10 days, imports Argentenian mesquite, and has a "pit" worth more than my truck.

Man, those hockey pucks tasted good, didn't they?

Dave
dave-
you fools ate them :D besides it was a easy excuse to drink more beer ;Sweet
I think the best we can do is one night pull the motor out and strip the gen2 stuff off it and another evening, load in the back of your truck. gimme a timeline on your departure schedule.
deese-
whatever you think is "reasonable" for rent, double or triple it........welcome to Kalifornia. :puke: If you have a gun collection, tell noone about it. I had to export my arsenal to TX since a majority of it was now banned in CA :backoff :draw :backoff :mad: -cuss

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Sorry for the confusion, Dave...at least this is better than the "Truck Trend" thread (which went off on a tangent about farm equipment, followed by a brief discussion about Chinese relations)...

The cook-out/meet idea is separate from pulling/loading Deese's engine. No date set for the meet yet, but I'm thinking early to mid January...but my brain's too overloaded at the moment to figure it out any further than that.

As to getting Deese's engine down to him...I don't know how far out of the way EAFB is for you going to Yucca Valley (not sure what route you take), but the main street that goes through my dad's town (Rosamond, if you've ever heard of it) is the western entrance for EAFB, so it's literally not out of the way at all for me when I go down there for the holidays...and taking the engine down there gives me an excuse to take the truck :D (although that also means I have to make the glow plug system and CC work before going down south) So, really, whatever works best for you; I can go either way...and, if I'm down there when you drop the engine off, I can help offload it if need be... :)

dave85

Reaction score
My plans are being changed daily.......

due to my boss's new girlfriend. Warden, if you are going right there, then it would be better.
Best would be for Deese to come up and meet the guru.*
But whatever, I should have a firm dparture date by Monday's AM staff meeting.

*who happens to be Chinese and has looked at importing farm tractors
LOL LOL LOL

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online