TECH 101 clutch MC/Slave bleeding procedure!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
It was meant as a joke RLDSL Im not saying anyone took it offensively but after rereading it, I see where it could come off that way. I am in no way trying to bash anyone because I will most definately admit it was no fun at all to do it that way until I got a new slave(did it four times in a matter of a year or so) this was the reason I came up with the board. It was a pretty interesting contraption but did the job for the time being.

I here you on the older thing, hauling hay and breaking horses has taken its toll on me, but according to the doctor my back will last a whole nother 2 years if I keep doing that stuff. Stupid doctors say that I have a inherited bad back and it will be messed up by the time Im 25.

anyways I better stop cluttering up a good tech thread

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have experienced having to install the slave with no strap for the pushrod.

My advice is to take a small socket or nut driver smaller than the ball end of pushrod but large enough to press against it and not just slip off.

Using the socket and either a handle or ratchet or nut driver in hand slip the slave on as far as you can, make sure the rubber boot is under the clutch fork so it won't catch when you push in the rod.

OK now with slave on and boot out of way, take your socket/nut driver etc and press that pushrod in as far as you need to get it below the clutch fork, then just move the socket over and **** the pushrod over onto the arm and you are done. This works well for me several times.

Al

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a solution to the imfamous plastic bushing issue - use a bronze bushing and a cotter pin!

Lowe's has a nice selection of bushings, at least the one here does. Get a 3/8" id - 1/2" od unit. With a stock petal you'll need to drill out the id a bit, I think the stock pin is something closer to 7/16". I wound up replacing the stock one with a 3/8 grade 8 bolt welded on since I had some pretty nasty wear on the pin. This makes the bushing work real nice. Then just stick a washer and cotter pin on the end....

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Personally, I like the *attach a Motive Bleeder to the clutch master cylinder , pump it up, open up the bleeder screw on the slave and watch all the air go by-by and be done with it* method... but then again, I'm inherently lazy LOL

RLDSL, what Motive bleeder adapter do you have for the clutch master cylinder? Motive's site says to use the 1109 for Ford's clutches, but doesn't list year application. And the specs on the 1109 say it's for 45mm screw on reservoirs, but with a caliper I'm measuring 50mm across the threads on the IDI clutch master. Maybe I'm measuring wrong, but I'd like to clear it up. Seriously thinking about purchasing the Motive for this job on my truck.
Thank You!
TOF

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a spare cap off a junkyard cylinder, drill & tap for a barbed fitting that will fit the bleeder plastic hose and use that - much much cheaper than getting the custom adapter for everything.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online