Cracked Hypermax up-pipe

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a cracked up-pipe on the Pulse installation of my 6.9. It's the driver's side pipe to the turbo.

I can easily see how it's connected to the exhaust manifold, but I don't know how it's connected to the turbo. I need to remove said pipe to either replace it or patch it.

I've downloaded Mel's instructions on the Hypermax install but would like some sort of picture to find out what goes where on the turbo mount as concerns this pipe.

I can wiggle the pipe and I've found at least one crack on the manifold end of the up-pipe.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is pull one small bolt from the side of the housing where the pipe goes into the turbo and just wiggle it till it slips out. I think the bolt takes a 7/16 wrench or socket.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is kind of a ball and socket joint, I happen to have a set of used pipes for sale (not posted yet). They are in decent shape if you're interested.
JwS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hypermax is definitely proud of their piping. Any idea why it cracked?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either temperature or age.

I think it cracked in October when I was pulling Snoqualmie Pass here in Washington. I heard a pop and then the tell-tale noise of a cracked exhaust made its appearance. It only really rattles when you floor it. So for the time being I'm driving easy on it and using the Monaco.

I think what I might do is remove the old pipe and take it to a muffler shop and have a new one bent up.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is the crack in the pipe and where is it? If it's right at the flange at the manifold you can have a new piece made up and just expand your current pipe to fit over the new piece. If it's on the pipe away from the mounting surface just drill a hole at either end of the crack to relieve the stress and weld it up. Most shops won't be able to make the ball and of the pipe where it goes into the turbo. Where I was at we had a guy who knew our bender really well and he could make the ball end with no trouble. Ask to see the shops work and show them the pipe first and explain it must have the ball flange on it with the anchoring strap in that exact place. Good luck with it.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there is one crack at the exhaust manifold below the mounting flange by about 1", it's growing around the pipe.

It feels a little loose at the turbo but I won't know until I crawl up over the top the engine and have a good look with a mirror and light. That will have to wait until Monday.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before it breaks completely pull the pipe off and drill an 1/8 inch hole at each end of the crack. Then have a good welder grind the crack into a v-shape and weld it up. If you were closer to me I could probably pull it, do the prep work, weld it up, and finally get it back on the truck in a couple hours. I suggest taking it to someone who is an experienced welder. I don't know what your experience level is but exhaust tubing tends to be a pain to weld without burning through. Again good luck with it and let us know what you decide on.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll more than likely take the pipe off on Monday. I've not been doing much driving lately, being out of work and all.

However, it's given me time to work on other projects that need completion such as my 40' city bus conversion that will have 80 gallon on board biodiesel processor with workshop and diesel generator set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin