cowl intake vs cold air intake

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'm wondering if after I get an intercooler on this pig if I should keep my cowl intake or switch to a cold air intake? Cold air would require re-routing my fuel filter but if it would be a performance increase I would do it. The having less clutter under the hood would be nice. Is a cowl intake necessary when an intercooler is involved?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
the cowl intake you have doesn't flow that great, swapping to a 4" intake tube and better filter would benefit you. More warmer air, will be better than less cooler air.

tknomaj

Reaction score
If he is running a HyperMax cowl air it is better than a after market cold air which will pull warm air IMHO. the cowl is a high pressure area and the air is colder than air under the hood temps. Just have a good after market air filter in the air box. mine is AFE.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If youve got a hypermax cowl induction then youve got all the cold air you could ever want getting stuffed in under pressure.. The cowl area in front of teh windshield is a high pressure area. Tapping into that is the gravy spot.
You don't want to suck warm air, you just defeat teh purpose of the intercooler. As it is the hypermax unit lowers EGTs around 300-350 deg by itself before you even stick a intercooler on there, Why on earth would you want to get rid of it and increase your EGTs while installing an intercoler to lower your EGTs ? Sounds like someting straight out of the department of redundancy department cookoo

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
If youve got a hypermax cowl induction then youve got all the cold air you could ever want getting stuffed in under pressure.. The cowl area in front of teh windshield is a high pressure area. Tapping into that is the gravy spot.
You don't want to suck warm air, you just defeat teh purpose of the intercooler. As it is the hypermax unit lowers EGTs around 300-350 deg by itself before you even stick a intercooler on there, Why on earth would you want to get rid of it and increase your EGTs while installing an intercoler to lower your EGTs ? Sounds like someting straight out of the department of redundancy department cookoo

Ambient temp under the hood where you would put the aftermarket filter is around 100*, that is nowhere near hot enough to make an affect on power or EGT's. What is enough to make an affect on EGT's is the super restrictive ATS turbo box and filter setup. The hypermax cowl induction with the ATS box will NEVER out flow, out power, or run cooler EGT's than a setup like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Been there, done that... I'm just telling you the way it is.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Like NMB2 said. It has been proven that more warm air is better than less COLD air. Because the COLD air is only about 20-50 cooler than the warm air, There is no real advantage. At least with a "cold air" setup, you are not starving the engine for air

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PSD guys have done stupid amounts of testing on this one, at speeds about 20mph, underhood temps are within around 10 degrees of ambient.
Considering the huge flow restriction that the stock intake setup is, I'd much rather have the 6637 style setup under the hood than the cowl setup.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
well, sounds like i'll have a cowl intake for sale after i get my intercooler on. thank you for the opinions. your setup is interesting nmb2, but i dont know that i want to delete my windshield wiper cleaner to run it that way. think i'll redirect my fuel filter and go the other way

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
well, sounds like i'll have a cowl intake for sale after i get my intercooler on. thank you for the opinions. your setup is interesting nmb2, but i dont know that i want to delete my windshield wiper cleaner to run it that way. think i'll redirect my fuel filter and go the other way

look at the pic again.. I left enough space to put the stuff back... I just havent done so yet.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
awsome. well i'll run it that way then, f movin the fuel filter. Is a factory turbo a 4" inlet? or do you have an upgraded comp housing with a bigger inlet?

gonna be fun trying to run intercooler piping around that setup though..

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
my turbo has bigger inlet, but I ran this intake with the same setup you have now. the stock boot is a tight fit, but you can stretch it up over the 4" pipe. It wont look like it at first, but trust me.. it will.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my turbo has bigger inlet, but I ran this intake with the same setup you have now. the stock boot is a tight fit, but you can stretch it up over the 4" pipe. It wont look like it at first, but trust me.. it will.

Exactly what I did. Cept my turbo isnt angled and I don't have a 6637 yet :p

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone here a little while back,did some tests on under hood temps.but i'll be danged if i can find the thread.
anyone know where that is?

exactly.
too many people have a mind set on "flow",when "pressure" is the key!;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726