cowl intake vs cold air intake

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone here a little while back,did some tests on under hood temps.but i'll be danged if i can find the thread.
anyone know where that is?
Here you go:

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43812

Also, I remember talking with Russ (typ4) when he came down here once...he was talking about not having the tube connected between his air filter intake and the factory snorkel. He was under the impression that it wouldn't make a difference, but his son convinced him to try hooking it back up. He was surprised to see his EGT's drop by something like 200 degrees on the freeway...and that was on an intercooled engine.

Given that that was with the stock air intake system (going into an 093 turbo IIRC but I may be wrong on the turbo; I do know that it's a wastegated turbo), I don't know how that compares to the BHAF idea...

well, sounds like i'll have a cowl intake for sale after i get my intercooler on.
Any idea how much you'll sell it for? I may be interested...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Hypermax cowl induction and it is certainly an improvement over the ATS airbox with no snorkel, better turbo sound, quicker boost etc, but it may not make up for the restrictiveness of the ATS 088 airbox. I think I've figured out how to get NMB2's setup pretty cheap. PVC pipe 4", a 6637 equivalent from Filterbarn.com and a few boots, cost should be 50 bucks or less. I'll do the comparison but I don't have a sophisticated thermocouple to measure intake air temp like Sycostang did. All I could do would be seat of pants and EGT comparison. Honestly my EGT were never an issue even before the cowl induction. I cn still hit 900-1000 pre turbo on hard acceleration but at any highway speed it always winds up at 550-750 empty or lightly loaded. No towing or heavy hauling numbers yet.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The way I see it, why not keep the cowl intake? That pressurized pocket of air will be easier for the engine to suck in it's intake charge than it would be to have the engine doing all the work from under the hood of the truck. So, if the air happens to be cold then why the hell not? Ambient air temperatures/underhood air temp comparison be damned, if a cowl intake makes it easier for my engine to ingest air then there is no decision to be made. However, it's your truck.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
The way I see it, why not keep the cowl intake? That pressurized pocket of air will be easier for the engine to suck in it's intake charge than it would be to have the engine doing all the work from under the hood of the truck. So, if the air happens to be cold then why not? Ambient air temperatures/underhood air temp comparison be damned, if a cowl intake makes it easier for my engine to ingest air then there is no decision to be made. However, it's your truck.

i made my own cowl intake with larger less restrictive piping im currently n/a but did see a improvement in mpg and throttle response

BTW flarside i love the profile pic

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally I'd keep the cowl induction and feed the air through an easier breathing filter and eliminate the ATS box but I don't know how to do that. Really, unless it were to damage the turbo/engine or hurt performance, getting rid of that airbox would be worthwhile because it gets on the way and adds 1/4 to 1/2 and hour of labor to every maintenance and service item on the top of the engine (glow plugs, returns injectors, even timing). It also has a hard time sealing like ATS designed it to do because the buckles and clips are worn. I'm only (hopefully) avoiding ingesting a lot of dirt because of having recurved or made new clips and using weather stripping to form a positive seal between the two halves of the airbox.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ideally I'd keep the cowl induction and feed the air through an easier breathing filter and eliminate the ATS box but I don't know how to do that. Really, unless it were to damage the turbo/engine or hurt performance, getting rid of that airbox would be worthwhile because it gets on the way and adds 1/4 to 1/2 and hour of labor to every maintenance and service item on the top of the engine (glow plugs, returns injectors, even timing). It also has a hard time sealing like ATS designed it to do because the buckles and clips are worn. I'm only (hopefully) avoiding ingesting a lot of dirt because of having recurved or made new clips and using weather stripping to form a positive seal between the two halves of the airbox.

That ATS airbox is not by any means restrictive, it's one heck of an optical illusion though. I measured teh surface area of that planar filter and compared it to the surface area of the factory 7.3 n/a filter ( one day when REALLY Bored )and lo and behold, there is actually MORE surface area of filtration on the ats 088 planar filter than there is on teh factory 7.3 filter. who'd of thunk it :eek: The design is really rather efficient.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i have an 093 system, which has a different airbox than an 088 i believe. if i could figure out another filter system where i could keep the cowl intake setup i would but i cant think of anything. ill try a BHAF and see how it compares. I'll figure out which i like more and sell the other.

i dont know what id ask for it or if i'd even sell it. my brother just got a turbo idi and he could probably use it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i have an 093 system, which has a different airbox than an 088 i believe. if i could figure out another filter system where i could keep the cowl intake setup i would but i cant think of anything. ill try a BHAF and see how it compares. I'll figure out which i like more and sell the other.

i dont know what id ask for it or if i'd even sell it. my brother just got a turbo idi and he could probably use it.

If I'm not mistaken the 093 has a larger surface area filter than the 088
If you just HAVE to go with some other kind of filter , why not try one of these new Racor jobs . It gets you a nice big cone filter incased in a closed housing that you can hookup to a cowl induction

There is no way on earth I would run an open filter under a hood on a diesel, I don't care where you live. We used to regularly get these guys with the European diesel cars that would try that stunt and would say, OH, I live in, California, or Nevada, or( fill in dry place where it *never* rains ) it never rains here... and then a month or two later they'd be back on there singing the blues about how they had a block full of bent rods and worse after taking a corner too fast and not realizing there was water in the gutter and other such mishaps. It takes amazingly little water to completely lock up a diesel engine to the point of you are totally screwed and all that looked so cool, all the sudden doesn't feel so good

I couldn't imagine wanting to ditch a cowl induction for an open underhood filter . Knowing what going from sucking underhood air to the cowl induction did for my EGTs and power, I know for a fact, my last long trip would have been spent dragging the 5er 2 gears lower most of the time if I were sucking underhood air. That garbage would get old real fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online