Cooling system not pressurizing, Overheating Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had this particular issue before but interestingly enough the cooling system in the truck I've been working on isnt pressurizing and it was starting to over heat. Just a little background on the truck, I bought it several years ago, put like $1500 in new parts into it and then put it to pasture as soon as I got my brown truck running. Its sat for probably 3 years, maybe going on 4. Some of the parts I replaced were the thermostat (replaced with International replacement part) and the water pump. So both of those are practically brand new. It would make little sense why either one of those wouldn't be working.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Sean if its not building pressure then it sounds like its leaking the pressure out somewhere. That could be lots of possibilitys as you know. Attempting to point you towards a head gasket leak or cavitation at this point is just to alarm you. Can you apply a pressure test to the cooling system. Then hand crank over the engine to iliminate a gasket issue. I suppose you could jumper the fender solenoid with very slight taps so the pistons don't run up a cylinder and contact some coolant is any is in the cylinders. Even if the coolant was not circulating some pressure would be in the cooling system. Any coolant in the passenger side footwell in the cab... Maybe a heater core let go on you... Sorry for all the issues your having...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Have you tested the radiator cap? :dunno

Not to be a smart a**, but its usually the simple things that I forget about and end up being the problem.

A leaky heater hose/connection also comes to mind...

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a major leak of coolant the only thing that would keep the system from pressurizing is the radiator cap. Even if the heater core was bad the system would still have pressure.

Years ago I was helping a guy change an engine on a Dodge Power Wagon. After we got the new engine in we started *** up and when taking it for a test drive it would over heat. If it was idling even for 30 minutes it was fine. When it did over heat the guy who I was helping and owner of the truck took the radiator cap off and it did not blow over. I knew then the cap was bad. Put a new one on and it never overheated again.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Duh! Lol Yea you guys are right. I vaguely remember pulling the cap off of that truck a few years ago to swap it with one of our other trucks that was over heating. Haha. So yea its the cap.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its amazing how well this thing runs. It literally fired right up every time I cranked it over, and like I said earlier, this truck has sat for atleast 3 or 4 years without even touching it. Only my brown truck starts that fast out of all our IDI's, well it did, but it has a rebuilt engine. This old truck was taken care of for the most part. The guy hacked a few things but I think I caught all of them right after I bought it. It had a stuck lifter at first but it ran for a few minutes and it went completely away. Some guys freak out too fast on some things with these engines. Honestly, more times than not I've had an IDI start making funny noises and it simply works itself out. Best fixall for them is honestly to hook them up to a trailer and put a load on it. I dont know if they soot up or what but it just seems like most "noises" are fixable with a little faith and paitence with the engine.
But it runs great now! I kinda hate selling it. Who knows the guy hasn't called me back so maybe I'll end up keeping it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Making these engines work for a living will give plenty of life. When they get babyed the rings and cylinders get a varnish on them because they never got hot enough to burn it off. Then you play hell getting it off. Hauling a load will heat up the rings and cylinders enough to burn off this mess. The best way to break in a new engine is to put a load on it. They are meant to work. Not drive to the store for beer and jerky... Although thats a great idea about this time of day here....:sly:D

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The 'italian tuneup' can work wonders...

I know my MB 300D ran best after I ran the hell out of it hard up hill both ways. :sly

I have a bad tendancy to baby my truck in between hauls, mostly for fuel economy reasons. Lucky for me I've got a good stretch of mountains between work and home that puts a good load on things.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some guys freak out too fast on some things with these engines. Honestly, more times than not I've had an IDI start making funny noises and it simply works itself out. Best fixall for them is honestly to hook them up to a trailer and put a load on it.

Glad someone else finally realizes this. LOL