Coolant Test Strips

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how this looks? I thought 7.3 idi were not supposed to have green coolant? I just bought mine and it has green coolant. I'm not even sure what I'm looking at here, but here is a pic of my test strip.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Green is ok, as long as its low sillicate and has SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive - to help prevent cavitation) added. What kind of strip is this, and the legend of what the colors mean, should be on the bottle. Not all strips test for SCA's. There are ones that just test coolant "health" and what freeze level protection you are sitting at......

Sorry not to be more helpful, but not really sure what we are looking at without knowing the legend, and what that particular strip tests for.

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
So based on the bottle it would appear I have have some SCAs in the coolant but perhaps another dose would be good? The first square on the strip is for nitrate then freeze point and then ph.
Is nitrate the same as SCAs? It appears my Freeze point is around -34 - (-60)
But what does PH matter? It would appear my PH is around 8.0

Thanks!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The greeish one is the PH. Hold it against the bottle. Looks ok as Orange is too low. Purple means more than 50% coolant and the red/pink is the sca's. Actully it looks pretty good and atleast has some protection left.

You dont need much of the SCa stuff. I'd try 4oz and retest after its mixed up.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I just learned about cavitation and bought a bunch of stuff to install a coolant filter and I bought Fleet Guard ES Compleat Lifetime Coolant that is treated with DCA4 as well as the test strips and DCA4 additive for future use! I will be flushing my system since I don't know what is currently in my truck, been in there for 2 years so I probably have some cavitation damage.... If you don't know much about the trucks history I would flush the system and put fresh coolant in with DCA's or SCA's. Read this :) http://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/cavitation.html

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
I think i may have the wrong test stripes. The first pad is for testing Nitrate. I don't think nitrate and SCAs are the same thing?
Also having a difficult time finding a shop that knows these 7.3 idi diesels. Its a van E350 and I'm not mechanic.
Definitely needs exhaust. The local shop said they could do it if it's 3 inch, but if it's 4 they can't make that size pipes bend or something.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, I would just flush the system, the website I gave you has detailed instructions on how to flush your fluid as well as what to use for coolant and SCA's/DCA's. The exhaust, most exhaust places can't do the bends for 4" piping. I just ordered a 4 straight pipe for a 99 to 03 of Extreme Diesel Performance.... Will take a little mounting work but not much, the bend over the axle is all I care about. Hypermax makes a kit for your van, 3.5" http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=1a6882b5-f107-43bf-86ae-2a8a1179831d

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it honestly. It looks pretty good to me.

Nitrite is part of the SCA so your good as far as that goes. It might be a bit low but its hard to tell from the picture.

I take it you got the test strips from Napa? If that's the case it will tell you on the bottle how much to add if need be. Napa sells the bottles of SCA and its called Napakool. Just don't overdose the cooling system.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1: who's test strips
2: how long after dipping as FG's are supposed to be read with in a pretty tight time span. Other wise the reading is NOT correct.

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
They are Napa test stripes. Thanks CDX for the clarification as I was not sure if those were the right strips or not. Glad it looks good. Perhaps I'll save myself the trouble and just run it. The colors should be accurate. I took the pic when it was still pretty fresh and the colors didn't change much honestly.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Now that you have the test strips just check it a couple times a year and make sure its good.

You might have to eventually add some napakool like I mentioned but that's about it.

StBernardnot

Reaction score
Mine took a couple of minutes today . About 50 degrees in the garage. Says they work from 50 up. Finally setteled out (the nitrate) into a 'good' color. Just seemed to take longer than normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online