Coolant suddenly sucked into the oil

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Heads had likely been cracked for a while... and suddenly something cracked more.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's really a bummer. It really bothers me when things fail and I don't know why.

Maybe change the heads? I'd hate to see another of these marvelous machines scrapped. Such a beautiful elegant design as far as simplicity, even if it isn't the most efficient. I don't need bragging rights, I just need to get me and my stuff there. All this new stuff, in my mind, is just too finicky.

If it were mine, I'd change the heads and keep on trucking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd hate to see another of these marvelous machines scrapped. Such a beautiful elegant design as far as simplicity, even if it isn't the most efficient. I don't need bragging rights, I just need to get me and my stuff there. All this new stuff, in my mind, is just too finicky.
I feel exactly the same way.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd change the heads and keep on trucking.

I helped my buddy through finding good cores, valve job, head gaskets, and a radiator.

He and I would never do that again on a NA IDI. If there's attachment to the truck in some way, it's 6BT swap time.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is a 6BT suitable to put in an E350 van?

Yes. Its a stout platform.

'rebar' on this forum has one in a '95 van. I little googling suggests there's more swap info/threads at thedieselstop, 4btswaps, and cumminsforum.